Insurance Requirements - Supervised Diet

SimpleeRedd
on 10/28/03 9:45 pm - Riverdale, GA
I have EmpireBlue PPO, which is under BCBS and in thier requirements they ask for medical records that show you have been on a supervised diet. However I have not had any supervised diets within the time frame that they require. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you have to do?? Should I try to go and see a doctor so that I will have some documentation, or should I wait until my consult with my surgeon Dr. Duncan and see what he says?
QUEENS B.
on 10/29/03 12:05 am - Jesup, GA
I have BC/BS of IL - PPO. They asked me for that, plus some more stuff like nutritional counselling, relapse prevention therapy, increase in activity while supervised....etc I went back to my PCP and he sent chart notes and weights with some of this extra info that they wanted in there but not all. I read it and I don't think it will fly so I am not beyond hiring a lawyer to get an approval. They try to string you along so that you will quit and they won't have to pay. Of course that is only my opinion, but that is how I feel. I have already invested hundreds of dollars getting this information for them and still no answer. They have been increasingly stingy on approval since last year. Alot of people want this surgery and rightfully so. It gives you a new lease on life. They dangle this surgery in front of your face like someone would a carrot to a rabbit. It is not fair. Can't they see that we would cost them way more in medical expenses because of co-morbidities in the future? Good luck friend. As for me, it looks like a possible denial, but I will counter with an attorney. What's another $400. Take care and God Bless.
Kasper31
on 10/29/03 8:54 am - Southfiled, MI
I would ask them to clarify themselves! I have the same insurance. And all they wanted to know was what have I done on my own to try to lose weight! Ask to speak with your case manager. You should have one! I was approved within one week! ***********************Best of Luck To You*****************
Dawn P.
on 10/29/03 11:47 am
If I were you, I would go ahead and start a doctor supervised diet. That way if you are denied for lack of documented diet, at least you will already be started on one....
SimpleeRedd
on 10/29/03 7:57 pm - Riverdale, GA
Thanks for the good advice everyone.. Im just gonna call them and find out exactly what I need to do
Most Active