Hey, Dr. Oakley's patients

Lori B.
on 4/10/10 5:41 am - Fields, OR
I'm scheduled for an RNY with Dr. Oakley on  April 27th.  On Wednesday the 21st I go in for my pre-op appointment, pre op at the hospital, meeting with nutritionist, and a group meeting of some sort.  Until then, I'd like to get an idea of Dr. Oakley's post-op diet and his position on supplements.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  Thanks!
LB

cheryl88
on 4/10/10 10:31 am - Meridian, ID
I had the RNY with Dr. Oakley Jan 4th, 2010. His office is great.  He works with a really great Physician Assistant Annie Campbell. 
There are 2 nutritionist that Dr. Oakley's office works with.  Jen & Judy.  I prefer Jen, but Judy is helpfull too.  The like Fusion for vitamins and BA calcium chews.

He didn't tell me much about his views on diets.  He told me that I had no restrictions, but to be smart and remember what the NUT's had to say.

Good Luck!

Sunbunny064
on 4/28/10 10:42 am
 I agree and think Dr. Oakley and his staff are he best! As long as you are doing good then he will let you advance. He probably feels we know our bodies best and what works and doesn't work for us.

IdahoKristina
on 4/19/10 7:01 am
The first couple of weeks you'll be on soft foods like protein drinks, cottage cheese, cream soups, refried beans and yogurt (look for the low sugar variety Fred Meyer has a good low carb yogurt that actually has more protein than greek yogurt but less calories). 

Then a couple of weeks later you'll get to try soft foods for a couple of weeks (they'll give you a list of stuff you can eat). 
Then at around 3 months they give you the green light to eat fresh veggies and you're pretty much unlimited in the food you can eat so long as it's low carb/sugar/fat.  Plan to give up caffinated drinks for a year.  I know it can be hard, but I haven't touched a soda in 10 months now (not even diet).
In the beginning, he expects that you'll need supplements.  It takes some time to be able to get all your protein in and he knows that.  Eventually, he recommends that you eat 3 meals per day that are comprised of lean meats to be eaten first.  Having said that, he isn't going to jump down your throat if you use supplements after the first couple of months.  Depending on how you do after your surgery he can advance your diet.  In my case I lost 100 pounds in just over 6 months, so he gave me the go ahead to incorporate more veggies into my diet.  I followed the plan pretty strictly (with only a few exceptions) and he said that I'd lost as much in 6 months as many people lose in the course of a year, but like I said "I tow the line".  You've chosen a great doctor that you can be confident in his abilities as a surgeon.  I'm really happy for you.  Good Luck on your journey!

Never trade what you want most for what you want at the moment

Sunbunny064
on 4/28/10 10:33 am
 that is soo true, towing the line is the best advice anyone can give. Like I said I am at 2 weeks today and because I have already lost 20 pounds I have the green light to eat as normal as my stomach will allow. Everything has to be small bites and small portions. I avoid caffeine, sugar and fats like the plague.
Exercise and plan your meals around your protein source. When I was on puree I can tell you I got pretty creative..There are very few things that cannot be pureed..lol

It is important to give up the caffeine because it can cause ulcers. If you are sick of it all then try an Ensure, with a scoop of protein powder and a fresh strawberry blended together.. it is really satisfying.

Sunbunny064
on 4/28/10 10:46 am
 2nd day after surgery you will drink three dixie cups of water. If that stays down then you will have 24 hours of a a clear bariatric liquid diet. 
When you leave the hospital you will be on full liquids.. I did the full liquids for about a week and a half and then advanced to puree.. Depending on how you are doing at your 2 week follow up will determine how Dr. Oakley will allow you to advance.
Be sure to take your vitamins, that is a big deal.. follow the doctors orders and tow the line.. he is an exceptional surgeon and knows what he is doing. Start your protein shakes now because you will be drinking a lot of them for the first 2 weeks... Good luck on your surgery!

Lori B.
on 4/30/10 12:17 pm - Fields, OR
Thanks to all of you for your posts.  I was at the hospital about 2 1/2 days.  Everything went very smoothly.  I agree with you on your opinion of Dr. Oakley, he is a wonderful surgeon.  He always answered my questions and was very supportive.  St. Luke's Hospital and staff were just great as well.  I really appreciated all of the follow-up  information in writing that I received at check-out time.  The visit from Judy, the RD, was very helpful as well.  Now that I am home I can concentrate on getting all my fluid, vitamins, and protein.  Thanks again for your information.

Most Active