What has changed most significantly since your surgery ?

ahmerzrealm
on 7/12/11 4:36 am - Naperville, IL
For me, the most significant that has happened to me is the energy and ambition and confidence that I now have. I want to do things that i never thought  I would do. Handling a multifaceted life was something i never had the guts to challenge. I just was fat and lazy and just rolled along quutely.

Whats your story ?
crystal M.
on 7/12/11 6:17 am - Joliet, IL

Well first is my attitude toward activity and how active I am now.  I wouldn't say I was lazy but I definitely wasn't active.  I went out of my way to make things easier.  I would tire out so much faster.  I remember getting all sweaty just doing groceries.  I remember going to work one morning and I was cleaning my car off (it snowed the night before) and I was just so totally exhausted by this.  I had never felt so tired, I just wanted to go back to bed....I was only 36!!!  I still hate cleaning my car off but I never want to feel like that again....at least not till I'm 90!!! 

I also have more confidence.  I mean look at what I'm doing.  I found another job and I'm moving 150 miles away.  I would have never done this 150 lbs ago.  I hated facing situations where I would have to meet new people.  I was sure that every one was looking at me in disgust and judging me. 

I also have this desire to do things and go out and have fun.  I was happy to just sit and watch TV 24/7.  Now I want to bike ride, join a yoga class and go hiking.  I am fidgety if I sit too long!!!! 

I dress nicer now and care more about my appearance (not just at work but at home too).  I put effort into my hair and make-up now. 

I take an proactive roll in my health.  Not reactive.  I don't wait till there's a problem to see the doctor.  I see him regularly, I get physicals, I eat properly and exercise.  I am actually trying to be healthy.  I take an interest in what I eat and where it comes from.  Before I would eat fast food every single day.  I never drank water but I did drink about 150-200 oz of soda a day!!! 

I feel lucky that I made this change relatively young and I have time to reverse the damage I have done to my body and hopefully live a long life.

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 12:45 pm - Woodstock, IL
I feel better.  I don't have blood pressure meds anymore.  I don't have any meds anymore:)  I dress better, feel better about myself......feel more comfortable with my husband:)  More energy.  And I'm 89 pounds lighter.  That's the biggest change!

Jules
Nicolle
on 7/13/11 1:17 am
It's hard to say the most significant thing since my DS.

Lots of things come to mind...no more diabetes and sleep apnea. Those are big and life-changing. I added a lot of good years to my life by choosing the DS.

With the DS, I just roll along and eat what I like, as long as I eat my protein first. That's amazing! I feel so damn normal. I have no embarrassment about food--I order what I want at restaurants and know that no one cares or is judging what I eat, from appetizers to steak to dessert. No one could tell by looking at me and what I eat that I had a bariatric surgery.

Since my DS, I guess I feel powerful, like my Nicolle-ness shines through. I don't think anyone is judging me negatively because of how I look (they are welcome to judge me on my behavior). Before, I'm sure some stupid people wrote me off because I was fat and assigned false character flaws/stereotypes to me, based on my size: lazy, dumb, etc. I was NEVER any of those things--ever! Now they can only see me and what I bring: intelligence, wit and energy. It's a nice feeling.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

georgie3772
on 7/13/11 2:45 am - Manteno, IL
I just feel heatlhier!  I am not a big exercise person, but I enjoy bike riding and just being able to do things and not get tired so easily.

Of course, finding clothes that look decent and I feel look good on me is nice, too!!

I am no longer, "the biggest person in the room" and feel more normal with my body size. 

Lovin' it!

georgie

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1068 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5593 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5338 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5365 views