DR's Consult Disappointment

Proud Military Mom
on 5/25/04 11:29 pm - Reno, NV
Ok went and saw Dr. Shayani yesterday, left feeling a bit down and somewhat pissed. He said my hernia shouldnt be a problem but I shouldnt expect to much. That the hernia will put me in a higher risk catagory for band slippage. When the band will slip he doesnt know. So wouldnt you think that with that news he'd say I am sorry your not a candidate for this surgery????????????????NO YOUR WRONG he didnt. He'll do the surgery as long as I am going in knowing I will more than likely need a second to either remove or repair the slipped band. He also said he didnt think I was committed to it since I drink soda???? I have weaned myself down from 8 a day to 2 and will be off of it by surgery time... and I drink as much if not more water a day than soda.... So the choice is mine... I am going to pass, why have it if the Surgeon already expects it to fail and why would the surgeon say he'd do it when he thinks it will fail??? FIDDLE STIX!!!! I dont think Michelle was any happier with her visit but I'll let her post about that...
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/04 11:35 pm - OK
Hang in there!! There is a better doctor some where i promise you!! Hope to see you at the meeting next tuesday!! Take care i gotta go to walmart
Amanda M.
on 5/26/04 6:20 am - Palos Hills, IL
Oh Debby, I'm so sorry!!! You make sure to get yourself a second opinion! Or who knows, maybe the RNY would be a better for you with the hernia?? Good luck to you, I sure hope you find someone who you like! Amanda
JoyceB
on 5/26/04 7:59 am - IL
Debby - I would suggest you check with Dr. Horgan in Chicago. He was with the FDA trials and does both surgeries. He will give you an honest opinion as to whether or not you are a good candidate and which would be better for you. As for slippage...I know Dr. Horgan stitches the band in place so that the risk of slippage for everyone is greatly reduced if not eliminated all together.
Proud Military Mom
on 5/26/04 8:09 am - Reno, NV
Thanks Joyce I'll check into him..
michelle
on 5/26/04 11:34 am - Swansea, IL
Well, my consult with Dr Shayani didn't go any better than Debs. He told me that he didn't think I would be very successful with the lap band because I am a nibbler and not a binge eater. You know, eat smaller portions instead of a lot at one time. He doesn't think it will be beneficial to me. Then he turns around and tells Deb that I am a strong candidate. What is wrong with this picture? I definately will not be using Dr Shayani.
michelle
on 5/26/04 11:49 am - Swansea, IL
Deb, I talked with Lana today and she said that Dr Ray only does the lap band. He doesn't do the rny any more. She also said to tell you that you will have to hand write a note stating that you have been smole free for at least 6 months. Gee, that shouldn't be a problem for you.
Proud Military Mom
on 5/27/04 3:35 am - Reno, NV
Michelle lets think of it as a second opinion... if it doesnt work out then there's Dr. O still and he has my paper work already... Maybe you need to call them and have Ramona send you out your packet and submit it now. they wont even call you till jan/feb for your consult... so we will have time to "shop" around and Jeff is looking up near chicago for us....
michelle
on 5/27/04 8:13 am - Swansea, IL
Hey Deb, I agree. I might need to wait that long anyway because I have a job interview tomorrow. I am interviewing at a law firm here in town. I will call Dr. O's office tomorrow. Then I have knee surgery on Thursday.
Kathy D.
on 5/29/04 3:25 am - Skokie, IL
If your looking in the Chicago area........you might want to check out Dr Constantine Franzides who practices out of Evanston Hospital in Evanston, IL. He is a poineer in minimally invasive surgery not just WLS. He is very skilled and has done more than 800 of these procedures.....Lap RNY, and only 2 pts with any post-op complications. He's very professional, very kind and caring, and it's very obvious he loves what he does. I was in his office for my consultation and he was running around looking for his camera to take pics of one of his pts that he is so proud. MIght be worth checking him out too. He will be doing my surgery in Dec........and is doing a friend/coworker of mine in June 2. He gets very excited watching the progress of his patients......the fruits of his labor of love. AND, HE HAS THE MOST EXPRESSIVE EYES AND SMILE ! So, just thought I"d share that with you incase any of you might want to check him out. And, it's not to difficult to get an apt with him either. And he and his whole staff are available to answer any questions or concerns you might have 24 hours a day. wELL, i'VE RAMBLED ENOUGH.......Happy holiday weekend to all and happy LOSING ! Huggs, Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1061 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5588 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5332 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5360 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5393 views