Has anyone heard?

Theresa R.
on 5/27/04 4:42 am - Tecumseh, MI
I am a Barix Clinics patient in Michigan (formerly Bariatric Treatment Center) my surgery was 8 years ago and I lost over 200 lbs. My friend in IL would love to have the surgery, she is covered under Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I just heard at a support group meeting that Barix recently signed contracts in Pennsylvania and Michigan with BCBS. And the great news is that IL next. Has anyone heard this? Would be great to give my friend good news...
Proud Military Mom
on 5/27/04 7:13 am - Reno, NV
I dont have BCBS but I know that MANY people here are having serious problems with them not covering the surgery. I know some people are talking law suits and some Dr's wont even take them because of the hassle. Post on the main board too there are many of them there. Tell your friend good luck!!\
nicole H.
on 5/27/04 12:50 pm - Naperville, il
BCBS does not cover wls IF you have an individual self pay plan. I checked this out right before I got my plan as I new i would be interested in a revision GBP and Humana One was the only one that covered it, again under SELF PAY. As for coverage as an employee, tell your friend to check her policy and see if it is excluded or if her company covers this surgery. I had mine done at BTC in Belvidere but would not again. Just my opinion. Cattle call it seemed and a cookie cutter operation. Doctors don't stay long either but if you need a referral, I can provide one or two. I recently talked to a nurse who worked at BTC when I had mine done and he gave me some reallll insight on their operation. Nicole Chicago
Gabby W.
on 5/30/04 7:25 pm - Chicago, IL
It depends on which BCBS insurance she has. The out of state ones are normally easier to deal with. However, BCBS of IL typically denies all requests and requires the patient to have 6 months of supervised weight loss with a doctor. In addition, BCBS no longer covers the Lap-Band surgery. Requests for approval are handled individually. I don't want you to be dismayed, but understand, it won't be a cakewalk. I've heard about the recent changes in IL. Hopefully they will happen sooner rather than later. Gabby
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1066 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5591 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5336 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5364 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5398 views