Kami Shaw-PAC-Meridian Surgical Group-MAJOR dissappointment

mustang_convt
on 2/9/12 8:27 pm
Hello Everyone!
This is my 1st post on this (or any) weight loss surgery forum. I am a labor/delivery nurse with years of experience in the medical field. I had struggles with weight issues my entire life due to fighting the often misunderstood issues of insulin resistance, Hashimotos thyroiditis, adult ADHD, and PCOS. I believe the main reason these problems are under-treated is due to the fact that none of them cause pain or morbitiy. However, they cause MAJOR quality of life issues as anyone with ANY of these problems can attest to. Its often difficult to find a doctor who will listen and try to help with "quality of life" issues. October of 2010 I got gastric bypass with Dr. Christopher Evanson from Meridian Surgical group with a startiing weight of 212 in hopes of curing my hyperinsulinemia and the quality of life issues that come with it. 4 months later I am 172 pounds.

I did not have any problems with my surgery and was released 23 hours later. As a nurse, I know what to do for a successful post-op period, and the group is very sufficient with pre-op education on dietary reccomendations and vitamin supplementation. I have been following the reccomendations to a "T." My 1st follow up with Dr. Evanson went well. He answered questions and did not rush me. He remembered me personally despite a huge practice and educated without hesitance. My opinion of Dr. Evanson and his office has always been a positive one...until yesterday

Yesterday I had myeavily anticipated 4 month follow up appointment. Being that I scheduled an appointment with my Doctor, Dr. Evanson, I was surprised after driving 90 minutes to get there I was informed I would be seeing his Physicians Assistant, Kami Shaw. Ms. Shaw was the rudest, most intolerable, unaware "physician" I have ever met in my entire life. I am honestly shocked to my core a group of their prestige would hire such a hot head. This woman is the EPITOME of "because I'm the doctor" when you ask a question. I am very proactive in my healthcare. I do not call their office for every little concern I have. In fact, I have not called their office ONCE post-op. I am couteous of their time and write down my questions in between office visits  (every FOUR MONTHS) so I can get them all out in one visit instead of taking up all their time.

However, Kami Shaw tries to answer your questions without rationale, and without knowing your history. Her 1st question to me when I walked in was "what kind of surgery did you have." This alerted me she was not familiar with anything but my name-much less some major metabolic issues I have. My questions were geared toward malabsorption of medications. She was not prepared, unaware of my history, and mad that I (god forbid) tried to give her some of my history so we could work on a treatment plan. After less than 7 minutes TRYING to talk to this close-minded PA, she litterally slammed her laptop shut mid-sentence (no joke), shuffled her papers all over the desk, and very rudley said "your paperwork will be at the desk." She then STOMPED out of the room and SLAMMED her magnent against the doorframe, leaving me, her patient, sitting in the room in absoulte stunned silence. As my eyes filled up with tears she comes to the door frame and yells "you can leave now."

Really Kami???? Really???? Was the litteral temper tantrum really worth it???? I felt like a piece of trash the entire rest of the day. A surgery of this nature is only as successful as its after-care. And while they have a fantastic pre-care program, they rely HEAVILY on their dietiicians for the after care. I know how to read and follow instructions. The dietary and vitamin recommendations are ridiculously easy to understand and you are either compliant or not. I needed help from a premiere bariatric medical doctor to help me understand medicine mal-absorption and what we could do with my current medications to treat my thyroid and ADHD disorder with minimal malabsorption and the symptoms are coming back and it is causing some major issues. Kami was not concerned one bit with helping me. She was much more interested in blowing off symptoms as something else knowing NOTHING about me and getting me right out of the office.

Disappointed does not begin to describe how I felt about her "care." This was classic patient abandonment. She litterally walked out of the room while I was explaining my history and current symptoms. I am embarassed, humiliated, and very hurt by how she treated me. She really put a very negative light on a previous positive experience. I am so early out I feel I have no medical help now. I'm scared with aftercare being so important if I run across an issue later on, I will be doomed to fail. I dont know how I can ever go back to that office. Being a nurse I know how medical offices work and whatever is down on the progress note is what happened-whether true or not. Im sure she will not note her incredibly rude actions and abandonment. Not to mention not a single second of physical assessment. Not once did she place a stethascope on my or assess any part of me.

I do not know what to do other than warn future patients when making their appointments to let the schedular know you want to meet with ONLY your surgeon who is familiar with your and your case if you are going for ANYthing other than routine post-op consultations. I seriously hope no other bariatric patient is subjected to her abusive "treatment" AFTER spending over $40,000 on surgery.

Doesn't Matter
on 2/9/12 11:06 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Revision on 02/29/12
I think there is something wrong with their office....My doctor is Dr. Inman, and I will be having a revision there; I wanted to have a DS, but they don't revise to DS's, so I am going through with a long limb rny.  Anyway, I had some questions about why there is so much negativity about the long limb, and why the doc doesn't revise to DS, so I spoke with the nurse there.  Her response was, "If you have to question that, then you're not ready to have surgery, and should re-think this."  Now, I've only met with the doc briefly, can't find much information about this surgery, and just had questions, I thought it was very rude of their office, not to mention the million voicemails that you leave and nobody calls you back.  I'm only going there because I hear Dr. Inman is great.
~~Me ~~    
Karen H.
on 3/6/12 4:48 am
What kind of revision are you having?  I had an RNY and gained all my weight back, I need a revision. Do you know if they do a revision to help an RNY first? Thank You

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

senoraburt
on 3/27/12 9:52 pm - IN
When did you have your initial surgery?  I had mine 5 years ago and have recently gained back 20 lbs.  It all started when I was put on prednisone for an extended period because of asthma.  I have to jump back on the horse and it is hard!

Anyone know what ever happened to Sweet Sherri who practically ran this site?

ChristieS
on 2/10/12 2:03 am - Camby, IN
Wow - guess I got lucky - I never saw her.

After I was 1 year out, I was discharged from their care, and sent to Dr. Adrienne Gomez.  Now she is an absolute doll.  She will take all the time you need and explain everything.  She is a bariatric physician (but not a bariatric surgeon).  She's doing all their aftercare now.

Perhaps you could get in to see her instead?

She's in the Bariatric Center, 2nd floor.  Her phone number is 317-582-8030.  Good luck!

Twilighttwilight addict

BWB
on 2/19/12 6:13 am
I've had a wonderful experience with IU University Health. Two and a half years previously I did go to someone at St V's (Carmel) and wasn't satisfied with the office staff, the responses I got, they made a lot of mistakes on the information, they were slow getting back to me..... I lost confidence and gave up on them. Then last April, 2011, my health problems were all due to diabetes and weight. Another IU doctor strongly recommended the Bariatric Center and I was very impressed all the way through.

Karen H.
on 3/6/12 4:52 am
Does your surgeon do revisions? And who is he? Thank you trying to find the best for a Revision...

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

BWB
on 3/6/12 6:56 am
 I'm sure he does.  Dr Mattar was my surgeon.  They have regular open meetings for new patients so why don't you check it out.

BethR311
on 3/5/12 10:21 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Mustang, welcome, and I'm sorry you had such a rough experience. I think you should draft a letter to the practice manager and your surgeon, and send them certified mail. There is no excuse whatsoever for any medical professional to act in such a way, let alone to another medical professional. I hope you can find someone in the office better capable of assisting you.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Terry B.
on 3/29/12 5:41 am - Martinsville, IN
I agree with Beth.  This treatment was awful.  Of course you should be able to ask questions and expect answers!  And be treated with respect!  

I am only one, But still, I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.  And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something that I can do. 

Edward Everett Hale

Onederland 1/26/2010    

Most Active
Recent Topics