What should I do first ! Medicare and Medicaid

browneyes65
on 5/9/13 3:46 am - IN

I'v never done this before, I'm in the process of trying to get medicaid pick up what medicare won't, so do I find a Dr yet or wait till I know for sure if I will get help ? I don't know how it works. Is there a message board for medicaid and medicare insurance so they might know how it works because I know regular insurace might work differently. Is there a list i can go to that tells me what Dr's accept medicare and medicaid ? I really want a Dr with alot of experience. Will medicaid want to know what Dr I chose when I ask for help right away or do they give me a little time to look for one. Thanks everyone be patient with me, I know this is where I come to when I need answers. Thanks

JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/13 5:00 am, edited 6/7/13 5:07 am

I had my DS under Medicare and Medicaid due to disability.  My SMO was affecting my overall health, and medicines for Lupus and Fibromyalgia simply did not work.  After my DS, and a substantial weight loss, medicines for my conditions began to work, and are still working to reduce my symptoms.  My DS is part of my strategy to get off of disability.

That said, Medicare and Medicaid will pay, but you need proof that your obesity is contributing to other health conditions.  Those conditions, like high blood pressure, sleep apnea, GERD, and others, are called co-morbidities.  You do need to find your surgeon and a hospital designated as a Bariatric Center of Excellence before you get to work on insurance.  Usually, the surgeons's office and hospital will take care of that for you.

Your surgery must be done at a hospital that is designated a Bariatric Center of Excellence in order for Medicare and Medicaid to pay.  You can find out by simply calling up and asking someone from the hospital's program if they have that designation. Check to make sure, by calling up US Dept. of Health and Human Serivces. Google it, and you should be able to find an 800 number, and/or a website. There may even be a list here in OH, I know they have a list of surgeons, but I'm not sure about hospitals,  because I didn't find this site until after I had done my own research and scheduled my surgery.  You may also find some information on the Medicare site, and generally, state's Medicaid coverage lines up with Medicare.

By the way, if you are using Medicaid, your surgery must be done in your own state.  Medicaid is state-run and does not transfer from state-to-state.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics