A couple questions

browneyes65
on 7/19/13 3:54 pm - IN

I'm going to have my surgery at St Vincents , they will except my Medicare and Indiana Medicaid so what I wanted to know is for anyone that has the same medical coverage do I have to wait 6 months and see a Dietition is that always required or sometimes not ? The next question is when you had to chose a Dr at St Vincents did you research the Dr's first, what did you look for? I'm calling Monday with a list of questions because I want to know which Dr has the most experience in RNY Lap, I hope to find a surgeon because I will have to go to the seminar. Thanks everyone your input is greatly appreciated.

severman
on 7/20/13 2:25 am - Indianapolis, IN

Not sure if he is still there, but my doctor was Dr Huse and he did my surgery almost 11 years ago.  He is an excellent surgeon, but does not have much of a bed side manor.  I've been gone so long, I'm not sure who all is still there.  Wish you the best of luck!

Stephanie E

severman
on 7/20/13 2:33 am - Indianapolis, IN
saterry
on 7/23/13 11:16 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Dr. Huse is retiring. Dr. Inman did my SRVG in 1997 and is going my lap RNY in September at St. Vincent Carmel. She is excellent and I would not let anyone else do my revision. Because she is in such demand her waiting list is longer but worth it. I cant say enough about the team at St. Vincent, they are amazing !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

browneyes65
on 7/23/13 3:43 pm - IN

Thanks, You said she is in demand so if I chose her how long do you think I would have to wait?

saterry
on 7/23/13 9:13 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I started in March and will be looking at sometime in Sept. I didnt have to do the 6 month pre op diet since I am a revision but it will still be at least 6 months time in the end for me. When you go there I would just ask them.

The weight has been good though. It has given me ti,e to think and plan. To get my support system together and to get my head right. !

Lets keep in touch along the journey ! On Face Book there is another site Bariatric Friendly that is great ! Great moderator and good people !

Hang in there.......its a wild ride

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

JazzyOne9254
on 8/14/13 3:45 pm

I guess I'm a little late on this reply.

Basically, it all depends on what is recommended after the psych eval. 

As for surgeons, I was all set to go with a doctor in Elkhart who did the DS, but he passed away before I could get the surgery done, and I had to start over.

I already knew I wanted the DS, I more than qualified for it, as I had a BMI near 70.  I was going to settle for the RNY, but when I showed up at Dr. Huse's seminar, I made it known I wanted the DS.  He referred me to Dr. Inman. I went to her seminar, did all the recommendations, and was called with a surgery date a week after I finished the pre-op support groups.  Also, I had to go to Carmel for the support groups, since there wasn't one for St. V's in the South Bend/Mishawaka area yet.

Back when I had my surgery, Dr. Inman only did lap surgeries on patients whose BMI was at 50 or under. My DS was open. I did ask about a lap DS, but that's what she told me.  That may have changed, but this I can guarantee... as far as what she can and can't do for you, she'll give it to you straight, no chaser!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics