Vitamin question

Fran Soonslim
on 1/18/06 12:06 pm - Northeast, IN
Last night at my support group meeting people were saying that we should be taking 3 multivitamins a day. I've only been taking one. Should I be taking 3? How many do you all take per day? Thanks, Fran
Silkyheart
on 1/18/06 1:19 pm - IN
Hi Fran...I also had my surgery done in October by Dr. Huse, and at our pre-op class and any other place vitamins have been talked about it's always been 3 chewables a day!!! You might want to double check with the dietician, and Dr. Huse, but they've always told me 3 as well!!! Hope you are doing well other than that...take care!!! ~~~ Shari
Ellenchanged
on 1/18/06 1:34 pm - Thorntown, IN
Hi Fran, When I went to the Pre-Opt Class I was told 3 childrens chewable, complete vitamens a day. Also ,1 B-1 a week, & 2 sublingual B-12 a week. You might want to check with your Dietician. You can email them, & they get back to you pretty quickly.Oh, also take Biotin for hair loss. It seems alot of people see hair loss when they are 5-6 mo. out.I have thin hair as it is, so I am using it. Hope this helps! (((hugs))) Ellen
Linda Kay
on 1/18/06 7:05 pm - Mooresville, IN
The NEW sheet they gave me said 3 a day. and they downed the B-12 to no more than 2 sublingual a week. also added b-1, call the nutritionist.. Linda
DEBI
on 1/18/06 7:21 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Just saw my dietitian and told her I was taking 2 a day...she said that was fine. However, I was taking all my vitamins in the mornings Supposed to spread them out...morning & night...oops. So now I know So this is what I take: AM- 1 Flintstone 1 Flax Oil (1000 mg) 1 Stresstab (multi-Vit B supplement with iron) 1 Calcium Citrate (400 mg) PM- 1 Flintstone 1 Stresstab 1 Calcium Citrate Vit B-12 1 shot the 1st of each month The Stresstab has Vit B1,B6,VIT C, VIT E,FOLIC ACID,BIOTIN,IRON
SweetSherri
on 1/18/06 8:11 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Back in 9/04, St. V patients were told to take 2 each of vitamins and calcium and 1 B-12 a week. About 3 months or so ago, they changed it to 3 each of vitamins & calcium (daily), 2 B-12's (wk) and one B1 (wk). I believe this came about due to a WLS conference that many of them attended and they learned that long perm post-ops were showing deficient in those areas. Thanks to my synthroid, and at the advise of my endocrinologist, I take my synthroid as soon as I get up (has to be on an empty stomach). I drink a cup of coffee and wait a half hour. By then, at least an hour has passed, which is how long you're suppose to wait to eat anything after taking a synthroid. At least 4 hours later, I do my vitamins, B12 (Mondays & Thursdays), B1 (Mondays), and Bioxin (daily...for hair loss). At least 4 hours after that, I take my calciums. Vitamins & calcium can keep the synthroid from doing it's job as well and the calcium and vitamins can also react with each other and prevent them from being as effective as they should be. Things really get tricky when I have an ulcer and have to space the carafate into the schedule! LOL! Sherri
slimsweetie2004
on 1/18/06 10:41 pm - Clayton, IN
It was just changed recently to 3 per day. I'm wondering what all types of vitamins you all take? I was told I could take the CVS brand -- then at the last support meeting I went to, the leader, who is a bariatric nurse at St. V in Carmel said that we shouldnt take those. Anyone else been told that? I was sure the dietician told me they were ok to take....
SweetSherri
on 1/19/06 3:36 am - Indianapolis, IN
I do the chewable centrum and the chewable caltrate. I was never told to not take a certain brand. Perhaps the CVS brand doesn't have iron/enough iron? When in doubt, call YOUR dietician...and if still in doubt, call YOUR surgeon. You will see that from hospital to hospital, doctor to doctor, what a person is told can very greatly. Your dietician/surgeon would be best to handle your specific needs.
DAN PACKARD
on 1/18/06 11:05 pm - KOKOMO, IN
I take the liquid Centrum 3 times a day; a B-1 on Monday; a B-12 shot once a month. I do not take any calcium upon direction of my dietician since I am a male and also I drink a half gallon of 1% milk per day. Oh yes and they have now put me on Iron supplements twice a day. Dan
billsgirl
on 1/19/06 4:52 am - Indianapolis, IN
I take 3 Centrum chewables a day, spread throughout the day. B12 on Sundays sublingually, and B1 on Sundays, then Biotin daily. Did the changes the b12 to twice a week? 2 mos ago it was once weekly but Iknow 2 times wouldn't hurt since it is so poorly absorped if its not in injection form. Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics