Low blood sugars

staceyp89
on 8/13/11 2:02 pm - shepherdsville , KY
I am 2 years post op, gastric bypass. The last few months or so I have been having really low blood sugars, with the lowest being 28. I am fine one minute, then the next its all bad. My GI thought it might be dumping, but it happens even if I havent eaten. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do about it?
Lifebeauty
on 8/14/11 10:48 am
I don't have a clue but hopefully someone that knows will reply soon.  Take care,
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Chris N.
on 8/15/11 1:07 am

Reactive Hypoglycemia.   It's common post-RNY.

I've been told that there isn't anything you can do to cure it but you can help to control it thru diet.  Limit refined/white carbs, high protein, eat often, etc.    There are a lot of threads on the RNY message board and probably the Main board as well that will give you an idea of other's struggles and how they manage it. 

When you do have a low, then you need to find what will not only bring your sugar level up quickly but also keep it up.  Look for something that is a combo of carbs and protein.  The carbs/sugar raise your blood sugar levels and the protein helps to keep you from dropping again.   I carry packs of peanut butter crackers with me in my purse and when I start to feel the symptoms,  I start eating crackers.    In general, if I eat any type of carb then I also eat protein with it.   

When you do have an episode (and you've gotten your sugar stable again) try to think back to what you felt like right before it happened.  Did you have an odd feeling in your stomach, a little shaky, slight headache, etc.   If you can start picking out what you feel like as it's just starting then you have a chance to stop it before it gets really bad.   

You can see an endocrinologist about it but unless they are familiar with RNY and reactive hypoglycemia, I've found, they won't be much help.   

The difference between reactive hypoglycemia and hypoglycemia in diabetics is that our pancreas is not only working....but over-working which is unlike diabetics who don't produce enough insulin.   When you eat something with carbs, your pancreas shoots out as much insulin as it once did when your body was bigger and needed more which makes your blood sugar drop very low, very quickly.   Eating sugar will quickly raise your blood sugar but because it's sugar, the pancreas will once again shoot out more insulin.  That's why you have to have protein WITH the sugar to keep you from dropping again. 

The preventative measure is to eat low carb/high protein as a rule.   Always eat protein if you have carbs.   Eat frequently.....plan to have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, all with protein.

The correction to a low is a combo, again, of carbs/protein.  Try different things and see what works best for you.   Like I said, a pack of peanut butter crackers works for me.    If you're really, really low (like the 28) milk works as well as juice.   Honey works.     Glucose tablets, etc.   But once you start feeling better....push the protein so you don't react again and go low right away.

When I've gone really low, I usually feel really tired and worn out the rest of the day.  The only thing that takes care of that is a nap in the afternoon and/or a good night's sleep.

I've also found that if I'm stressed about something, overly tired or sick.....it's much worse.   It takes almost nothing to trigger an episode and takes longer to correct it.  

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 108 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1318 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5120 views