I am new to this, I have ...

Joy G.
on 6/26/03 12:49 am - Florence, KY
I am new to this, I have never been in a chat room or left messages on any kind of message boards. I am looking forward to my surg. well for a few minutes at a time, then I worry about the pain, then I remind myself that I am 53 yrs. old. my mother only lived to 60 my aunt 55. My family history for heart disease and high blood pressure would be a poster family for what NOT to do to live long and healthy lives. I am the biggest baby in the world about pain, but at this point my knees re bad, my back hurts, I have neuropathy in my feet, so hopefully the pain will be less than the daily pains and aches I have now. Anybody who can give me support, please do. I look through the before and after pictures and am so uplifted that these people did it and so can I....did I tell you I am afraid of the pain? Joy Gatewood
slmky
on 6/27/03 1:52 am - Independence, KY
Joy, You sound so much like me! I was having some tests done at St. E's South earlier this week and met someone who had had Lap RNY surgery. She was questioning why I have chosen the open RNY. My answer began with, "Don't ask me this after surgery when I'm in intense pain, but . . .". I just turned 56 and am big baby when it come to pain. I, too, am just begining the process, so I can't give you any tips for getting through it. Just know that you are not the only one. God Bless, Sandi
Edna J.
on 6/27/03 3:30 am
Joy, I know where you're coming from and I applaud you for the effort you're putting in to change your lifestyle. I had my open RNY May 2002 and I had arthritis so bad, had right knee replaced in 2000 and the left one was a disaster waiting to happen, I was in a wheelchair, on oxygen/c-pap machine, couldn't drive my car, stayed home mostly but on my surgery day my life changed forever. I was 54 with a BMI of 79 and my weight was 389, now I've lost around 200+ lbs, and out of my wheelchair, drive my drive,no oxygen/c-pap, speak at support group meetings and go all the time and feel 25 yrs younger. My sister Diana Clarke had her surgery yesterday and came thru like a trooper. She is 53 and now her new life has started. Yes, we both were afraid of the unknown, the pain, the getting up and walking but we knew our family history, brother dead at 49 (heart attack) sister dead at 58 (heart attack 3 months ago) and diabetes in almost every member (blindness) and we chose life over uncertainty and I would reccommend this surgery to anyone, it saved our lifes. Keep in touch. Susy
Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 119 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1330 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5134 views