psy eval

roccoshakes79
on 1/10/11 2:43 pm
hi everyone,

I was wondering what exactly happens in these psychological evaluations? For example what kind of questions do they ask you. Also if they consider you depressed are you no longer a candidate for surgery? I'm just trying to get a heads up, thanks everyone !!!!!!!
OCMomma
on 1/10/11 3:09 pm
I am trying to remember back to last year.  She basically just asked me why I wanted surgery, why I thought it work, what did I expect to put into it and get out of it.   She asked why did I think my other attempts at weight loss failed and why did I turn to this.   Why I gained weight and why I continue to be overweight.  

I think they basically want to hear a few things......  That you realize your overweight.. that you realize how you got that way and that it will take lots of work to get it off and your willing to do that with help of surgery.   They want to be sure that you understand how your body ticks and that is the best choice for you.  

I am not sure about the depression thing.  I know someone just posted a little while ago that her trip ended badly and they said she was depressed and not a good surgery candidant.   I honestly don't know about that.  I know when I went it was just a series of questions I had to answer. It wasn't really a totally free for all blurt out session for me.  HOpe this helps.

Failed Lapband December 2010,Revision to RNY 2015.

vpurplej
on 1/10/11 10:37 pm - Gray, GA
I don't think that being mentally ill will totally disqualify you from surgery as long as you are in surgery or under a psychiatrist's care.  I am bipolar and I informed my psychiatrist that I wanted to have this surgery.  She was willing to work with me but the doctors would not accept me as a patient.  I found another doctor and asked her about the bipolar before I went through the trouble of all of that paperwork.  I had to go to my therapist and take a long test.  He graded and evaluated it and wrote a letter to my doctor. 

I really do not believe depression would automatically disqualify you, because if that  were the case the majority of wls candidates would be disqualified. But it's almost impossible for someone with bipolar to get any kind of bypass surgery due to thr malabsorption.

jewels321
on 1/10/11 10:42 pm - FL
I went in with a open mind to answer all questions honestly but not to give more information that was requested.  She was very kind and made sure that i knew what i was getting myself into, asked questions of why i choose lap band.  She asked about heath history, family history.  She questioned me on previous issues of sadness and depression but was concerened about where i am today.   She did a 1  hour long computer generated psyche test which i answered honestly and at the end we discussed the results of what was postitive and what I showed in my test that I needed to pay attention to.     It was not a difficult meeting but it was not a breeze either.  My time with her was 2.5 hours and at the end i was approved.

273 highest - 250 @ surgery 1/28/2011 -  222Current 

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/11 12:37 am
I was a little scared before going into my eval -- kind of afraid he would label me a total nutcase or something.  Of course that's still up for debate:)

Actually it was really great! It was about an hour long and he asked quite a few questions about my relationship with food and others.  Basically I think the goal was to find out if I had unrealistic expecations of this surgery turning me into a Hollywood diva and making every single thing in my life better and if I had an eating disorder.

Good luck to you!

Trixie
Most Active