Wow!! Three years FLEW by!!

melly37
on 1/10/11 1:57 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Three years ago, today, I was in surgery getting my very own Lapband.    I had a very bad surgeon.  He was one of those surgeons that runs people through similar to a puppy mill.  No education, no aftercare, and unfortunately, his surgical skills left MUCH to be desired.

I have learned so much on the OH Lapband board.  I really felt prepared for life after being banded after living on that board for 6 months prior to having surgery. I know a few people that had surgery with this same doc and he didn't even put the band around their stomach, so I feel fortunate.  He did place my band, just not very well.  I ended up with a slip.  By the time this happened, I was happily seeing my current surgeon.  Dr. Acosta is great. 

My goal was to lose 110 pounds.  I had lost a little over 100 pounds when I experienced my slip.  I was SOOOOO close!   With an unfilled band, waiting for surgery and stress in my  personal life, I gained a bit.  After surgery, for those of you that know the band, you know it can take MONTHS to get to a good restriction.  I was able to eat most anything and I was undergoing a lot of personal pain and stress, therfore I ate to cope.  Sooooo, I gained some more weight.

All together I gained back 40 pounds. 

My band is in good working order now, and after 8 months, I have gotten to a very good restriction now.  I know need to get my head back in to the game like a good little bandster to get off these extra 35 pounds (lost 5 of them). 

One thing I have definitely learned over the past 3 years is that this journey is very much a head game.  The best tool in the world will not help you to lose weight if you can't make some changes in your ways of thinking.  I know that I have a severe food addiction.  I also know that when I set my mind to it, the band does wonders in helping me control some of what I eat and now all of my portions. 

I really do appreciate all of the support that I have received over the past (almost) 4 years from all of you OH peeps.  Some of the friendships I have made here will bring me a lifetime of happiness.  No one quite understands a food addict unless you are one. 

I am posting a "before", an "almost to goal", and a current picture.  I am going to get to goal THIS YEAR.  2011 is MY year!! 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Hermosa L
on 1/10/11 3:00 am
THank you for sharing... you will get there.. and like you said it's YOUR year! Take it 5 pounds at a time...

It's not easy ... I gained 15 pounds from Thankgiving to New Year.. I lost my father and the emotional stress there were days i couldn't eat after seeing him in the hospital so I would eat Cheetos because Cheetos would go down..(yes a bag and not the small ones)

all my pants are a tad snug.. so I too have vowed to take better care of myself so I have been working on my food choices and I have begun to work out again.

I too will get there .. it will just take a me a tad longer.

Good Luck.!!
melly37
on 1/10/11 3:04 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Awe, so sorry for your loss, Hermosa.  Yes, I understand very well how Cheetos go down when regular food will not!   We will both do this!!

j_walker
on 1/10/11 3:35 am
Hey Melly! Happy Bandiversary...and to me too! I can imagine how you feel. I have had a roller coaster of a journey and am finally 20 lbs. to my goal weight. But it has taken all 3 of those years to get my head straight and lose those pounds! I have never reached my goal...but I will be there soon! We can DO this! It's so nice to hear from you and you reminded me of the "date"...I almost forgot today was the day!

melly37
on 1/10/11 3:51 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Well, happy bandiversary to you also!!!  We will do this!!

MARIA F.
on 1/10/11 3:40 am - Athens, GA

U still  look GREAT Melly. Hopeing 2011 will be your year!

FormerlyFluffy.com

melly37
on 1/10/11 3:52 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Thanks so much , Maria!!  You are a good example of losing even when a band isn't working as well as it could.  I am proud of you!

MARIA F.
on 1/10/11 4:19 am - Athens, GA

Thanks Melly!

FormerlyFluffy.com

mary101678
on 1/10/11 3:45 am, edited 1/10/11 3:45 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Good luck... It's hard to finally come to grips with the fact that we are addicted to food. I used to say I was allergic to certain foods, because they made me fat...
Like cake, ice cream, cookies, alcohol, etc
When someone would offer me some of these foods, I would say, oh no thanks, I am allergic to that!!
And it really worked.
Now, I am putting back on that mental state of having an allergic reaction to those foods.... I am allergic because they MAKE ME FAT!!! and I didn't undergo lapband surgery to eat fattening foods!!! So I AM ALLERGIC!!

melly37
on 1/10/11 3:50 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Oh my gosh!!  That's brilliant!!  I never thought of it that way.  I am definitely allergic to any simple carbs!  Thanks for the support!

Most Active