small sips

JoMixx
on 1/10/11 4:17 am - West Yarmouth, MA
Hi I had my band put in on Thursday.  I have been sipping water and powerade but I feel like every sip is putting air in my new pouch and I feel pressure. (I'm not using a straw).  Is this  a normal sensation?
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/11 4:29 am
Hi JoMixx,
Congratulations on your surgery!  I don't know if it's "normal" but I know I had trouble drinking for several days after surgery due to the swelling.  I was constantly afraid I was going to gulp too much and it did cause pressure even when I took small sips.  You really do need to stay on it though and keep hydrated.
At my first follow-up appt, my doctor "gave me permission" to take slightly bigger drinks, and it made me feel better. (By then I was less swollen too.  So when in doubt, ask the doctor (that goes for everything).
Good luck!
JoMixx
on 1/10/11 4:41 am - West Yarmouth, MA
Thanks so much! I've been worried that I was damaging my pouch.
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
bubblesrn
on 1/10/11 5:09 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
I totally agree with Nancy.  It's probably due to all the swelling.  It gets better over time.  The key to everything is staying hydrated during this phase of the game.  Try drinking warmer things instead of cold.  It goes down a bit easier.  My best friend during the clear liquid phase was broth.  I loved it back then now I'm just sick of it... LOL.

If it worsen where you can't even swallow your own saliva, call your surgeon.  They may have to see/ follow up with you sooner.

Take care and wishing you all the best!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

OCMomma
on 1/10/11 7:57 am
Your also feeling pressure due to the stomach being swelled and gas in your belly.  It will get better.  Congrads.

Failed Lapband December 2010,Revision to RNY 2015.

colo_girl
on 1/11/11 10:14 am - Arlington, VA
REALIZE Band on 06/23/10 with
Hi--

I had the same problem, when i took tiny sips I got a lot of air, and not only that, but I couldn't *burp* to relieve it.....It took some practice, but eventually I was able to drink without getting so much air, and as I healed I was able to *burp* again.  I haven't realy had any problems since.

Good luck and welcome to the bansdter club!

Most Active