what is an endoscopy???

carol468
on 1/11/11 5:44 am
I was looking through some of my papers about having lap band and I read that I would have to have an endoscopy before my surgery, I'm not sure I even know what that is...my doctor didn't mention it at my last appt. 
JoMixx
on 1/11/11 5:56 am - West Yarmouth, MA
They basically sedate you and stick a tube down your throat to look at your stomach.  I have had a couple of them and it's a little uncomfortable and I was scared but it's really not a huge deal.  I have procedure room anxiety so I always ask for extra pre-medication (ativan).    You should check to see if you really need it though if he didn't mention it.
Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
Shaesnana
on 1/11/11 6:01 am - Davenport, FL
I had one before my surgery.  Totally painless for me.  I was completely put out for it.  I was really nervous cause I had had one many yrs ago and I remembered it to be not painful but unfortable cause I was not totally asleep and I remember gagging as they put the tube down my throat. But this time, if I had known how easy it would be I wouldn't have been nervous at all.  I agree that you should check before you go and have it done tho.

Lyn

psychomom
on 1/11/11 6:02 am - China Grove, NC
Mine was a breeze! I went in got an IV and then woke up and went home! No soreness or anything. It is really nothing.I think  most everyone has to have one pre-op. You are put in twilight so it is not as sedating as surgery or anything . sounds alot scarier than it is .LOL

Jean M.
on 1/11/11 6:05 am
Revision on 08/16/12
My surgeon did a pre-op upper endoscopy on me because he wanted to have a look around my upper GI system (esophagus, stomach) and see if I had any diseases or conditions (like ulcers) or any anatomical abnormalities (like a hiatal hernia) that might affect my band surgery or need treatment before my surgery. He found my hiatal hernia (which I already knew about).

I was given medications to help me relax and forget everything that happened. I have absolutely no memory of the procedure. I had no pain or problems from it. However, an endoscopy is expensive and it's more invasive than other techniques that can be used to check your upper GI system, like an upper GI x-ray (you swallow barium and the radiologist or surgeon watches as it travels through your esophagus and stomach and into your duondenum).

If you have any medical reason to worry about the endoscopy, or your insurance won't cover it, ask your surgeon if he/she can just do an upper GI x-ray instead.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

psychomom
on 1/11/11 7:29 am - China Grove, NC
Yes they are expensive LOL !!!!   I did not know there were cheaper and as effective alternatives!  Wish I had known that.:)

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/11/11 10:53 am - Mexico
The drugs are FUN! I've had a couple, they are really no big deal. Last time I struggled to stay awake, he asked me why I wasn't letting the drugs work and I told him it was because they were fun! I didn't want to sleep through fun! ;o)

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active