I THINK I Want The LapBand.. Need Help?

EBrady09
on 1/11/11 6:25 pm
Hey Yall,
Im 21 yrs old and have always been over weight, Ive tried weigh****chers, lost some but gained it back, the Atkins Diet, same thing, had a trainer, did pretty good, lost 45 lbs but didnt learn how to change my eat habits so i gained it all back. I know it sounds cleshay but I truely did get picked on in middle school, got called a "backwards turtle" because of my belly. I've always been mostly active really big into sports, softball and basketball but as I got older, the less I played so the less active I was. I just got insurance back and I looking into getting the Lap Band and I would reallllllly apperciate some reviews, help, suggest, information? I'm recently engaged and would LOVE to be able to just go shopping for the pleaseure of it and not because I need new/bigger clothes, I want smaller clothes and eventually a smaller wedding dress. I refuse to go wedding dress shopping right now because I dont want to be let down. My mother is always asking me about my weight and if I'm working out and what I'm doing for me. She says shes just worried about my health, and even if she is, it still hurts sometimes... Anywho.. I would really like some information and reviews from others whom have had the surgery.

Im snowed/iced in right now in North GA so I'm looking forward to hearing back from yall.

-Sincerly, Erica
bubblesrn
on 1/11/11 10:39 pm
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
Wow, when I was reading your post, I thought of me... I was so in your shoes just a few years ago. 
When I was 21 I was 300 pounds but a very active 300 pound girl.  I got engaged when I was 24 and I dieted harder to fit the last size of the wedding dresses at the stores i went to which was a size 26.  Got married and didn't CARE about fitting into a dress anymore and gained another 350 pounds.  I'm a nurse, ironically I worked on the Bariatric/ GI unit at the hospital I worked at.  I knew my patients were looking at me like I needed more help then they did.  My mom, who also is a nurse, would constantly tell me to watch what I was eating.  She just wanted me to be healthy too.  It hurt so bad.  I was starting to hear it from everybody.  My boss, my co-workers, etc.  So finally I knew I had to do something.  I'm very lucky in the fact that I work at the #1 Bariatric Center in NJ and for with the #1 bariatric surgeon group in NJ so I knew to ask them as to what they thought.  I approached them wanting to do the gastric bypass.  After long consideration and talking with my surgeons, they told me I would be better off with the band.  I guess they knew something in me that I would be successful with the band.  They also told me if the band did not work for me they would do the gastric bypass on me no problem.  So, after another year of going back and forth, I finally got the lap band and I haven't looked back since.  It hasn't been all easy or fun.  It takes a lot of hard work and dedication.  Every day is a thought process and struggle but I know I got my life back almost 3 years ago. 2/22/08 was my new birthday, my fresh start.  I no longer get those awful comments that left me feeling like dirt.  I get a lot of praise and admiration, something I surely am not used to yet.  I can move now with more ease and i don't have to even think about taking a break.  I run... me run.  Something that I've longed for since high school-- I wanted to be on the tennis team but I never tried out for my fear of making a joke out of myself. 
My best advice to anyone, please, please, please do all of your research.  The procedure and the SURGEON.  Look at your surgeon's program.  Do they have a good pre-op care and aftercare program?  Does your surgeon have privileges to a hospital that is close to you?  Does your surgeon take your insurance and charge for band adjustments?  Is there a good support group associated with the surgeon and or the hospital where you have your surgery.
I was able to say yes to all of these and I had the advantage of being a bariatric nurse for now 6 years. So I was pretty comfortable with my decisions.

Good luck on the start of your new journey.
Wishing you all the best.
Take care
Janice

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Tiff tells all
on 1/11/11 10:47 pm, edited 1/11/11 11:15 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
every few days we have something similar to the link below. Also, about once a week there is a before and after picture parade.  There are a lot of controversial debates about  how effective the band can be but  I think the pictures will speak for themselves.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/4062920/Quick-poll -Happy-or-Regret-surgery/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4292436/Need-a-lit tle-inspiration-photo-parade-Lets-do-it/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4294757/Before-and -After-pics/

Let me know if you have any specific questions. i'm pretty much an open book regarding the lap band.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Phyllis C.
on 1/11/11 10:59 pm
I congratulate all of those who have done well with the band, but I would not recommend it to anyone.  Research all of your options and learn about all of the surgeries and then you may be able to pick the one that will be best for you.

You are so young and the band does not have a very good track record for lasting very long.  It really breaks my heart when I read of all the folks on this board who are going through pain and misery because eating hurts.  Never mind that fact that you may never lose much weight because restriction can be very elusive.

Go to the revisions board and read about the experience of those whose surgery has not worked out for them.

Good luck with your decision.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

amyc
on 1/11/11 11:29 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Phyllis,
You look great!  I'm glad the sleeve is working for you.   If something ever happened to my band that's the route I would go too.
Amy

Phyllis C.
on 1/12/11 12:37 am
You look gorgeous.  I have lost about 13 lbs since that pic was taken.  I am still the president of the turtle club though!!!!

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

amyc
on 1/11/11 11:27 pm, edited 1/11/11 11:27 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I was 25 when I had lap band surgery.  It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.   Almost 6 years, and two babies later, I'm down over 70 pounds.  My weight is more stable than it's ever been.   I was always loosing or gaining, never maintaining.

When I had surgery my two options were the band or the by pass.  I'll be honest the first year sometimes I wished I would have had RNY.  I wanted the weight gone and I wanted it gone then!  

I still struggle with my sweet tooth and figuring out ways to exercise, but I think I would have those struggles with any surgery.  

I would also research the sleeve.  If I ever lost my band that would be what I would revise to.

Feel free to check out my profile for before and afters.  I also have blogged through out my journey.

Good luck!
Amy

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 1:29 am - Mexico

I had a band, worst experience of my life.  Esophageal damage, non stop puking, it was horrible.

Banding provides the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, the highest regain, and the most mechanical problems.  25% lose their band in the first 5 years (and I think that figure is low), another 25% need a 2nd surgery in the first 5 years to correct a mechanical problems.

Don't fall for marketing, least invasive is not safer long term.  When you hear about banding being the safest surgery around this is true, the actual surgery is less than 1% safer than sleeves.  But sleeves are the safest surgery long term, no maintenance, no follow up care.  You have surgery and you come out of surgery at your sweet spot.  Bands can spends months and sometimes years trying to find a sweet spot and trying to maintain a sweet spot is not so easy.  Sleeves come out of surgery with their sweet spot forever.

Check out all the other surgery types.  Know them all inside and out, it's the only way you can see what surgery is best for you.  If you want poor weight loss LONG TERM after the regain, bands are for you.  Safest surgery type is a sleeve with far superior weight loss than banding.  If you have uncontrolled reflux not caused by a hiatal hernia or obesity, bypass is for you.  The surgery with the best long term weight loss stats is DS.

Post on all the other sugery boards and ask who is a band to 'x' surgery type revision, you'll find a TON of us out there.  Most don't post on the band boards anymore, we post on our new surgery type boards.

Read this:

www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919

And this:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/

And this:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 1:58 am
Jordiesmama69
on 1/12/11 2:18 am - Roscoe, IL
True, the band may not be for everyone but it has been a wonderful thing for many including myself. I have lost more than ever expected (in almost 3 years, I have officially lost 190 pounds as of this mornin :) ) and am still grateful for my band even though I have had some issues, it still so far was the right choice for ME. thats the important part, what is best for YOU. Every single WLS have a positive and negative feedback. You do the research for you and when the time is here, you will make that decision for yourself. Even people who have had opted for alternative surgeries after the band, had a reason why they initially got the band. Take the time to know the facts and I wish you best of luck with your journey! 
Most Active