Why did you choose a band?

Sporki
on 1/12/11 3:15 am - Ravena, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 02/28/11
I am scheduled for band surgery on Feb 28th.  It is not what I want  - I really want  the sleeve surgery however my insurance policy only covers the band, so if I want to challenge my policy it means I will be fighting what my employer offers and I'm not sure I want to get into it with my employer - especially in these uncertain economic times! Anyway, I am just wondering what made you all choose the band over the other types of WLS, which seem to get better results? My surgeon is not pro-band - he says the long term results seem to be fairly dismal with them and he is removing them right and left from people because of problems of one sort or another. However he will do the band for me if it's my only option.  What I really need is encouragment to believe this will work! I don't mind that it will take longer to lose the weight than with the bypass or sleeve - I can live with that - I just need to know I CAN be successful with this! I keep reading and hearing a lot of negatives about the band and as I said, my surgeon was not too supportive of it when I met with him last week. A girl at work had one put in a year ago and has only lost 25 lbs!! That is very discouraging to see! So please folks, let me know why you chose the band and how it is working for you - do you have any regrets? Thanks all, Sporki
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."    
Nic M
on 1/12/11 3:26 am
I went into surgery believing that I would be successful, but there was simply no way that was going to happen from the get-go. I had a terrible surgeon, which was the first mistake, and the band is simply not a good long term solution. In my case, it wasn't even a good short term solution.

I'd rather have nothing than go with the band, personally. The pain and the horrible effects it had on my body weren't worth it at all. 

I'm looking into a Sleeve revision, but am in the same boat... no insurance coverage for it. However, there are other options. Don't settle for the band if that's not what you want.

I'm looking into surgical loans and self pay options, as daunting as that seems.

Good luck to you, Sporki. I hope you can find the best option for yourself and make it happen.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Dana E.
on 1/12/11 5:49 am
I agree - except for the surgeon part.  My band is a complete failure.  I've had over 25 adjustments in the last three years so its not for lack of trying.  I weigh 40 lbs more than when I started.  I would rather have nothing at this point - the humiliation, the pain, the frustration, and feeling terrible (emotionally and physically) is not worth the chances.  I wish I would have gotten something else.
Dana - my blog
Ticker includes 17 lbs pre op diet! 

Nic M
on 1/12/11 1:54 pm
I totally understand what you're saying. Mine nearly killed me and that's not an exaggeration.
I wish I had chosen a different surgery, too. I'm really sorry you're going through this, Dana.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

JoMixx
on 1/12/11 3:28 am - West Yarmouth, MA

Hi Sporki,

I chose the band for a few reasons.  I didn't want to mutilate my body and I felt cutting my stomach would be mutilation.  I also was very concerned about future health issues.  With the band they can do diagnostic endoscopic procedures to check the liver and pancreas which they can't do with RNY and other procedures.  I went to many different seminars for each of the procedures that my insurance offered and asked a lot of questions.  

Another big thing for me is I am terrified of being malnourished.  I was worried about quality of life when I (God Forbid) Hit 70.

I think with any of the WLS you can fail.  A friend of mine had the sleeve and she is still quite obese.  I think If you don't fix your head, nothing will help!

I am only a week in so I can't tell you about regrets yet.

Good luck with your journey!

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 10:12 am - Mexico
On January 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM Pacific Time, JoMixx wrote:

Hi Sporki,

I chose the band for a few reasons.  I didn't want to mutilate my body and I felt cutting my stomach would be mutilation.  I also was very concerned about future health issues.  With the band they can do diagnostic endoscopic procedures to check the liver and pancreas which they can't do with RNY and other procedures.  I went to many different seminars for each of the procedures that my insurance offered and asked a lot of questions.  

Another big thing for me is I am terrified of being malnourished.  I was worried about quality of life when I (God Forbid) Hit 70.

I think with any of the WLS you can fail.  A friend of mine had the sleeve and she is still quite obese.  I think If you don't fix your head, nothing will help!

I am only a week in so I can't tell you about regrets yet.

Good luck with your journey!

Interesting post.

So if you ever had to have your gallbladder or appendix out, is that mutilation your body as well?

What makes you think you can't be malnourished with a band?  I was.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Phyllis C.
on 1/12/11 3:36 am
I would check to see if your insurance will pay for a revision if the band fails.  At least it sounds like you have a supportive Dr.  Check with the insurance people in the office and see if anyone with your insurance has been able to revise to the sleeve when the band failed.

Good luck.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

cpc
on 1/12/11 4:20 am - NJ
 I had my band put in Oct 2007 and in 18months I lost 118lbs.
It worked. I love my Band It is my best friend.
You have to have a good surgeon.
You have to follow the band rules, and you will do great.
Good Luck
Bette B.
on 1/12/11 5:09 am
 For me, the decision was easy: the band was - and still IS - the only operation that does not require my stomach or intestines to be cut and/or resected and/or removed. And FOR ME, it was the perfect decision.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Lynn C
on 1/12/11 5:19 am
OK here is my two cents - if you are not totally on the band wagon then you are going to become very frustrated with it. The initial lack of restriction, the to tight/to loose back and forth insanity, the stuck food, PB and food intolerance. The band is a very fickle tool and if you don't go into banding with your rose colored goggles on you are most likely going to be miserable from day one. If you want the sleeve FIGHT for it.

Your employer can say yes or no to bariatric surgery in general but once its established that they will cover WLS then its between you and your doctor on which one to get. Insurance companies (not your employer) will try to get out of paying for the sleeve stating its "experimental" - more likely that not though if you put up a fight you can have the surgery you want. Have your doctor submit for approval, if they deny then you can file an appeal - I would fight for the surgery I wanted rather then settle for one that - doesn't work and I don't want. OH and here is why I got the band:

It is reversible - silly me, its removable (not reversible) and it took 5 hours to get it out and a sleeve done after they peeled the band off my liver.

Its adjustable - add some-vomit, remove some-gain weight, add some-vomit, remove some-gain weight - sounds like fun (I didn't have this problem - I lost 100lbs very easily in the first two years) but by year 4 my stomach had dilated - no I was not to tight, I could eat everything but bread.

Its safer - nope, if I had gotten a sleeve first (not an option when I was banded) I would have only had one surgery, not two. Every surgery, more risk, more adhesions, slower recovery. etc.

I loved my band for 4 years and cried when I found out it had to come out - it took me all of 3 days to figure out what a blessing it really was. I'm learning my sleeve now and although I haven't melted away - I'm happy, I can eat like a normal person in small portions and I have no pain (except from where they dug the port out of my abdominal wall - 4 months and that spot still twinges)

Good luck!

http://lapbandtovsg.blogspot.com/p/studies.html

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active