Exercise question

sparty
on 1/12/11 2:48 am
Revision on 08/16/18

Hi everyone I’m trying to get into an exercise routine in the morning and I was looking for some advise. Do you drink a protein drink or something in the AM before you exercise and maybe a small breakfast later in the morning? Or just exercise and eat breakfast after, I don’t think I want to eat a meal first.

misscrys
on 1/12/11 4:35 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I normally have a protein shake or protein coffee in the morning whether exercise or not because I'm usually too tight in the morning to eat. But I think you should have something in your system. I've gotten dizzy and nauseated by not having something in my body before a workout.

...Includes 24 lbs lost before surgery

mary101678
on 1/12/11 6:18 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Something that is light for you may be a good choice. Then save your "real" breakfast for later if you can!

steelerfan1
on 1/12/11 7:15 am
I dont do protein shakes no more even when i exercise I just drink my water in the mornings and the days I do Zumba on Tuesday and Thursdays are at 9 am so I go to them classes then come home and do my breakfast .

The days I tone I dont do that till 11 am so I eat breakfast before I go and time I eat breakfast , go to toning class come home its almost time for lunch .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

cobastas
on 1/12/11 7:26 am
I have not been able to eat solid food in the morning, my band is very very tight in the a. m. so I do protein liquid.   I drink water before I exercise, protien liquid before and after exercise.
Lisaizme
on 1/13/11 7:42 am - TX
My routine:

~ 6am, have coffee & take vitamins.  The coffee is to loosen the band just a tad and to wash the vits down.

~7am, brkfst of Steelcut Oatmeal & chopped apple.  Sometimes I had a turkey sausage link too.  Past two days only able to eat 1/2 of the 1cup of oatmeal .. got full on 1/2 cup.

~8am go to gym.. workout a minimum of 90 minutes and often 3 hours.

~ post workout (approx. 10 or 11am)  Have a protein drink.  Usually Syntrax Nectar, but could be RTD Muscle Milk light or 8oz skim milk. 

~run errands and/or go home

~ 1 to 2pm.. belated lunch of whatever I can find that is 3oz protein, 1/2 cup veg & low fat.

Just to add to the conversation:  Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about eating and exercise
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D

This routine is working for me pretty well.  It might not suit others.  It took me a while to figure out that I need to eat about an hour before my workouts.  Any closer I'm asking for trouble.  Any sooner and I run out of energy to workout.  I find it also important to eat something that stays with me a long time.  Steelcut oats, even though high in carbs, is not high glycemic so it doesn't spike my blood sugar and I stay satisfied for quite a while.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active