Wish people would stop hating on the band

nicole_w_d
on 1/12/11 11:14 am
It is hard for us new people to stay positive and upbeat with all the talk about how the band does not work.  I work hard to skim through and only read positive posts. My insurance would approve all 3 surgeries. I chose the band because it is the only surgery that did not completely change my anatomy. Heaven forbid I get stomach cancer and I have had my stomach thrown away - Disclaimer (I am a think the worst kinda girl too often).

To all of you that are newer than me and questioning if you have done the right thing or questioning if this surgery is right for you just know that this surgery can work and is working great for me.  I went in today for my 3 month check up and I am down 52 pounds. 

I am not asking for oodles of replies telling me you are entitled to your own opinions, I know this - just think what your words do to those just starting their journey.

The way I look at my band is that it is only a part of my weight loss. As are the gym, the track, my yoga instructor, and my counselor (which I know I need to see) - so many of us eat for deeper reasons than "it just tastes good".

MomTo3Ds
on 1/12/11 11:32 am
I want to thank you for your post. I'm one of the new ones, who has opted for the lap band. (Jan 18) Several people on here seem to feel it's their mission to save people from the band. I don't hardly post, because frankly I'm tired of reading it. I wish you well on this journey.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/11 11:52 am - Des Moines, IA
Good luck on your journey!  I love my band.
Wendybrum
on 1/12/11 11:57 am - Oceanside, NY
 amen
wendy

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 1/12/11 12:11 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
I totally agree.   I  my band.   I feel it was the right decision for me. 
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 12:22 pm - Mexico
Why do we all need to love the band? Some of us have experienced the typical complications of the band. Only looking for positive posts is a big big problem, it is why people do not do quality research,they want to defend their choice to get a surgery type that quite frankly, is not safe long term.

Some people want all the info, some want only the good info. Which are you?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
MomTo3Ds
on 1/13/11 2:05 am
I have all the information, thanks. I'll take the high road. Be blessed.
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/13/11 3:06 am - Mexico

But, the high road doesn't apply here, we are talking research.

blkdmnd2u
on 1/12/11 12:26 pm
I totally agree with you, it is only a part of the weight loss. I am 4 years post op and I have not reached goal yet. It is not do to the Band though. I have been the problem. I am 70lbs from where I started and the internal gratification i have is invalueable. Over the years after hearing about the other surgeries and watching those people. The good and bad about it- I don't regret my choice. The Lap Band was a good fit for me and I need to continue to do my part so I  may reach goal.

Blkdmnd2u
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 12:27 pm - Mexico
And btw, stomach cancer is not one of the more common cancers, but esophageal cancer is. Some studies are showing that 2+ years post op 33% of banded people have horrific reflux causing Barretts esophagus. What follows Barretts? Esophageal cancer. If you were actually looking for something causing less cancer it would have been a sleeve.

If you have stomach cancer your odds are less with a sleeve, less tissue to become infected with cancer. Your chances for esophageal or stomach cancer is LESS with a sleeve vs. a band. So you really didn't do your research.

And let's say you do get stomach cancer, odds are your entire stomach would be removed anyway. Your small intestine would have been your new stomach. Please post correct information, newbies are reading these posts.

Most Active