New Lap Bander - have many questions

rockrgal
on 1/13/11 11:29 am - Surprise, AZ
Hello all!  I just had lap band almost 3 wks ago and I am loving the results!  The liquid diet was tough but I made it thru, and everything else went just fine.  I lost some lbs during the liquid diet and now that I can consume soft foods, I worry I am gonna gain lbs back.  I am making good choices (I think) and exercise often, and I feel great, I just have this scary feeling of "weight gain".  I weigh myself on Sundays and so far my system is working out for me.  Did anyone have the feeling of weight gain coming back?  I am not eating junk food or anything, as I never had a sweet tooth, but I want to feel full quicker.  Is this normal?  Will it take a few fills to feel completely full?  I don't want to eat too much, but I am so sick of the protein shakes and have some hunger.  Any tips I can get, other than drinking lots of water, that would help me to continue dropping lbs and not plateau?  I guess I am asking for the routine of post op, and if all of this is normal.  Thanks to all of you for your support and ideas over the past few months.  I have learned so much from this website.

steelerfan1
on 1/13/11 12:26 pm

Congrats on your surgery first :o)

When you go through each stage of post op with foods there is a very good chance you will gain weight but it will come back off !!

During stage 3 and 4 going from puree's to normal foods again I gained 6 pounds. Of course I freaked out I just had WLS for darn sake lol, but its normal it all came off within two weeks and plus some !!

Some people it takes one fill some people it takes many it just depends on you and you need to know if its actual hunger you are feeling or just head hunger.  If I went every time I had head hunger I would be getting a fill every day you need to learn the difference for fills that is very important.

I am almost 2 months post op.  I have skipped my first fill and my second appt is scheduled for 1/24 and I'm as of right now skipping my second fill .  I can go anywhere from 3-5 hrs of not getting hungry.

there are some days I go only two hrs but that is my fault because I have a bad habit of skipping meals :o(  I'm working on that .  But on the days I hit my protein like I should about 20-25 per meal I can go at least a good 4 hrs if not more not wanting to eat.

Right now my band alone is enough to keep me from not getting hungry.  I'm hitting my 8-10 pounds per month , and I'm staying full longer then 3 hrs at a time. 

I'm not saying I couldn't eat more then my cup full food any vet on here that has had their for long periods of times will tell you that you can always eat more then they are suppose to ,  but like the saying goes around here just because you can don't mean you should. :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lori O.
on 1/13/11 1:19 pm - Canada
It's normal to feel hungry while you are waiting for your first fill and then even after that until get to a good restriction the restriction will come and go.  I found after my first fill it was good for a couple of weekd and then I was getting hungry and hour and a half after eating - got a second fill and it lasted about 6 weeks - I didn't gain anything in the last 4 weeks but didn't lose anything either.  Had my third fill yesterday and I definitely feel the restriction - it's the best so far!  It's awesome - give it time what you're experiencing is normal.  Good luck!

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/13/11 2:00 pm - Mexico
Cut out carbs!!!!!!!! Carbs are what got us fat to begin with. If you eat carbs you have blood sugar spikes and that causes hunger. Big time hunger. While you are on the post op diet don't overdo on carbs, keep them between 20-40. That will help the stomach hunger, the head hunger... it's just awful.

Expect and plan for a 3 week post op stall, it happens to most. Just relax, sit back, and know things will fall into place.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
rockrgal
on 1/13/11 2:14 pm - Surprise, AZ
Thanks so much everyone for the responses, it really made me feel better!  I just need to relax and watch the carbs, keep exercising and wait for my first fill.  All the advice given is awesome and I really appreciate it!
Kate -True Brit
on 1/13/11 6:08 pm - UK

Others have answered your other Qs but just to say, you can make much nicer high protein drinks than powdered or ready mixed stuff.

Take a can of any soup or make your own, use healthy ingredients. Add a can of chick peas or lentils or soya or red kidney beans for protein. Blend to the correct consistency.

A high protein, tasty soup! I never had a protein shake!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

eazes
on 1/13/11 11:02 pm - Beaufort, SC
I alternate between small snacks and water.  Half the the time it's because I need to drink more water.  As for plateaus, well those will come and go.  Whenever you hit one just change up your eating habits and exercise.  That always works for me.  Don't get frustrated if it doesn't break right away.  I once had one that lasted a month.  Believe me I was going out of my mind.  All the questions you have are perfectly normal.  I had the same ones when I first started out.  After a while you'll be an expert at it.  Good luck on your journey.

Karen R.
on 1/14/11 5:49 am - Peoria, AZ
Rockrgal
 I live in Peoria, not far from you. I've been banded for nearly 21/2 yrs and have done pretty well. If I can answer any question or help with anything please PM me. I would love to talk and meet.
Karen
Most Active