Lap band and Drinking with food

all-about-fun
on 7/12/11 4:53 am - Minden, Canada
I am an RNY'er but my sister in-law has the lap band.

So my question for you banders is... Can you drink with your meals?
I know for RNY we cannot, and my sister in-law has a hot glass of water with every meal, and I think that is wrong!! She is defeating the purpose isn't she??

steelerfan1
on 7/12/11 5:06 am
no you are not suppose to drink with your meals. We are suppose to wait at least 30 min. The only time I do take a drink is if I eat something very spicy then I will take a sip , but other then that Im very strict about drinking with meals.I go anywhere from 30min to 60 min of not drinking.

Is there a reason why she is doing that ? Is she drinking to help food get down ? If she is doing that then she needs to go and see her doc that isnt good.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

bubblesrn
on 7/12/11 5:31 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
HI D!!!!

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

all-about-fun
on 7/12/11 5:32 am - Minden, Canada
yes that is the reason, to get food down...
so is your pouch the same as RNY pouch (so to speak), no drinking with meals so your pouch stays full and does not empty into your sotmach too fast?
it is sad for me to watch herself sabatoging herself. she has had the band for3-4 years and has NOT lost a significant amount of weight. And I am thinking this is a huge part of the reason.

steelerfan1
on 7/12/11 6:46 am

Hey there Jan how is my buddy doing ?

Right you dont want to drink because it will make the food go down faster and if I drink right after I get done eating I will get sick it makes my tummy to full.

Now like my buddy Jan said you are not suppose to drink 30 min before either but I have gotten very lazy in that way.   It dont bother me to drink right up to meal time so I do drink up to meal time but like I said I'm very strict about the after wards.

I dont even keep a drink near me because I will drink during meals lol.

I can understand being tight in the mornings but if she is doing that every meal drinking to get food down her then she is to tight , or something else is wrong .   She should not be doing that so I would beg her to go and see her doc and try getting some fluid out .

She is playing a awful risky game with her band if she is doing that . 

As far as not losing weight I can see where that might be some of the reason but I wouldn't say the majority of it is because she is drinking with her meals.

Is she eating the right foods, eating to many carbs, getting exercise in , eating all the time, eating huge portions ?

I know me personally it dont matter how well I eat, how much I pay attention to carbs or calories. I can eat 1000 calories and not lose weight ,if I dont exercise  *sigh*.  It's always been that way with me.   I just can****ch what I eat and lose even with the band in me . I have to exercise

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 5:18 am
You are correct.  She should not be drinking with meals.  Preop I was notorius for skippig breakfast, and after my band find that mornings I am always tighter.  I do start my day off with a warm drink, before eating.  Once I take my 1st bite I move liquids out o my eyesight so I won't be tempted.
bubblesrn
on 7/12/11 5:30 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
you are correct... no liquids 30 minutes before and after meals. 
If you drink liquids prior to eating, you are water loading, meaning you are filling your belly up with water- not food to feed it.  If you drink too soon after, you are just forcing the food down to digest faster, hence, you will be hungry again faster and have no satisfaction for 3-4 hours.
Drinking warm liquids usually helps your band loosen up... so if she is doing that prior to eating, is she too tight to begin with?  Maybe she needs to see her surgeon... just for safety!

Take care!
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

kathkeb
on 7/12/11 8:44 am
Some bandsters have 'first bite syndrome' -- where their band seems to 'shut down' as soon as they start eating ---- so, they are encouraged to have a few sips of a warm/hot beverage BEFORE their meals.

Drinking during the meals is not encouraged -- it pushes food through and allows us to eat more ----

Drinking too soon after eating causes me to vomit --- it is like putting water on a clogged drain in the sink, and I have to up-chuck it.
Kath

Most Active