vitamin D levels

smilin_eyes_58
on 8/11/11 8:21 am - IL
My surgeon's office keeps telling me my Vit D levels are low.  My primary Dr. says it is fine.  The letter sent to me states my level is 39.8 ng/ml,  Web MD and other sites say 30-50 is optimal.  Is there a reason why lapband patients need a higher than optimal level of Vitamin D?  They keep telling me I need to make an appointment with nutritionist and see no point in it.  Will be going to appt tommorrow and will ask but wondering if anyone on here knows a reason for this?  Other than wanting the money for another appt.   
Cheryl
5' 5 1/2"
HW 319/DOS 288.8/NOW 213.6/ 105.4 lostSurgery 1/21/09

Hislady
on 8/11/11 9:59 am - Vancouver, WA
Most everyone in the northern part of the country has low vit. D levels because we don't get alot of sunshine. You may need to take a supplement since your count while within the range is a bit on the low side but heck just take some from over the counter. Then see if it improves next testing.
Lisaizme
on 8/11/11 12:09 pm - TX
I was told mine was "low-normal" (dont recall the numbers) March 2010 and that the recommended levels were soon going to be increased.

So I started taking extra, and trying to get a little more sunshine (w/o suncreen) for short periods of time.

I agree with the suggestion to take extra and get new labs drawn after a period of time.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:18 pm
 This comes from the vitamin D council and their recommendations.

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient/

Lisaizme
on 8/14/11 10:15 pm - TX
Doc called me last night (yes, on a Sunday.. he's very good) about some other concerns and while I had him on the phone I asked about my D levels..

As I said earlier, they had been low normal the year before.. this year my D3 was 75.. yeah!!   This is after a year of taking 4000 iu a day.   He's backed me down to 2000 iu daily and we'll see where that puts me next year. 

D has many functions.. I think you'll just plain feel better if you get the levels up.  I don't think they're just money grubbing.  :)
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

smilin_eyes_58
on 8/15/11 7:32 am - IL
Thanks for the reply.  Talked to Dr. they automatically send the letter to anyone under 40 which I understand 40 as reasonable cut off point.  So I will go in 6 weeks to get retested. 
Cheryl
5' 5 1/2"
HW 319/DOS 288.8/NOW 213.6/ 105.4 lostSurgery 1/21/09

Most Active