Help ! I'm panicking ! Loss of restriction !

Susan K.
on 9/20/11 2:51 pm - Beecher, IL

I was banded back in Jan 2007 & over the last 4 years  have lost just over 80 lbs.
Only half way to goal ( I weigh, well , I "did" weigh before this 230lbs) .. I hadn't weighed that since Sophomore in HS.

I have had acid reflux since I was 17,(I'm 42 now)  with a hiatal hernia, that was repaired during band placement.
I felt great the first 2 years,(no reflux-no pills)  then the reflux returned

But,  all in all, I "was" happy with my weight loss. I might not have hit my goal, but without the band , I would have kept gaining

BUT THE REAL PROBLEM HERE, IS IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS, I'VE NOTICED I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO EAT MORE, I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS "ONE OF MY TANGENTS" & I'D GET BACK ON TRACK "TOMORROW"-   WELL, IN THE LAST 2 DAYS, I HAVE HAD NOOOOOO  RESTRICTION !  I WAS SO PANICKED, THAT i TOOK A HANDFULL OF FRENCH FRIES ( WHICH IS SOMETHING I HAD TO GIVE UP WITH THE BAND DUE TO GETTING SEVERELY STUCK EVEN WHEN I ATE 2) & ATE THEM & THEN A CHICKEN NUGET, JUST TO SEE IF I WOULD GET STUCK ( NORMALLY I WOULD DEFINITLY BE STUCK FOR A WHILE) & NOTHING !!!!!!  EVERYTHING WENT DOWN FINE !             I AM NEAR TEARS ! MY BAND DOCTOR CLOSED HIS OFFICE THAT WAS WITHIN MY REACH, SO NOW I HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER BAND DOCTOR, LOCALLY.

Could there be something "other" than something really wrong with my band ?  I WAS A "CASH PAY " and I am actually making my LAST payment next month ! Almost 5 years later, & surgery almost  paid off, & NOW this is happening ? I am scared to death ! I don't want this weight all back !  I just bought a size 18 dress ( i haven't worn a dress since I was married) , down from a size 26 !!!!! Someone, please send me some advice. I have NO pain anywhere. Port is fine.

PS : Last year, my acid reflux got so severe, I insisted that my doc do an upper GI to make sure nothing had slipped, he did & it was "normal" according to him ( 1 year ago)
My reflux some days is so bad, that I take several Prevacid/Nexium/ or Prilosec.
BUT THEN AGAIN, I'VE ALWAYS HAD AN ISSUE WITH THE REFLUX

HELP !

01/08/09 52 lbs lost in one year post op.....[email protected]
Want to make extra $$$ ? Become a Gold Canyon Candle Demonstrator ! www.mygc.com/susan or email me !

Hislady
on 9/21/11 8:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Calm down hon, I think we've chatted before and stress isn't going to help at all. It doesn't sound like a slip from what I've read about them there is usually tightness and pain altho not always. More than likely you've just lost enough weight that your band needs tightening. It usually doesn't happen rapidly like that but maybe it was looser and you just now noticed. Do your best to continue good bandster eating and get in to a doc to get checked. If you do need more surgery I would guess you have good standing with the original co. you borrowed from so worst case you would have to borrow again for repair, replacement or revision surgery. Allergan doesn't give a rat's patootie that you have problems, they just blame you for not doing the correct thing. They don't back up their product at all.
Susan K.
on 9/21/11 12:48 pm - Beecher, IL
Yep- you remember me, lol

I appreciate you responding as I know how long you've been active here & I only seem to take the time to come on "when I'm having trouble", but I guess that's why the board is here, to help us "panickers"...

I am just plain old scared.  I KNOW I can't control my eating & thats what landed me into band-land in the first place. Even though I did'nt lose the 160 lbs that wre "reccommended", I sure felt like a whole "other" person.  The fact is, I got married at 10lbs MORE than I am NOW-
AND the band KEPT me from climbing & climbing & cimbing...
Now, there's NOTHING, except the same crappy wilpower I always had.

Today, I "band" ate., course I wasn't in the m ood to indulge.  The one thing I enjoyed about the band, is I could "have my cake & eat it too", (which is WHY I haven't made it to goal -yet) so to speak.  If I "wanted " a piece of pizza, I ate "a" piece of pizza & I was truly full.  The band was a perfect "fix" for my lifestyle. I didn't feel cheated, but more than half of all my beloved foods, I could still eat in moderation. There "were" the obvious ones I had to give up. 

I understand what you're saying, about losing "so" much, but this was pretty much the same weight I was when I was last "seen"  by my doctor & he said I was "fine" at 8cc's & wouldn';t do another fill and that was a year and a half ago.  I have been up & down 10 lbs, but not much more lost since then so I have a hard time thinking I lost "too much weight"...I also had a salad for dinner and NOT once, did anything have issues going down.  Usually, I have to stop &really chew in between bites, or it was a major back up, like 3 bites later. Today- nothing

There "might" be some "feeling full" a bit sooner than someone with a complete complete loss of restriction.  I made sure I stopped after my serving.  I don't know what to make of it, except the acid reflux part kinda goes hand in hand with erosion, right ? 

My doctor also CLOSED his office that was in my area & where he is currently, is too far for me to drive.
I called another Bariatric doctor in the area & the nurse said this doctor wasn't in the habit of taking in patients that another surgeon peformed the surgery, but if she could "convince him" it woulf be a mere $ 510.00 for the first visit ? A consult & to determine how much is "left" in the band. I'll have to save a while before I could afford that  & in the mean time, risking it all.
I truly "hope" a fill is all I need, but this was all so sudden of a loss of restriction. Not gradual by  no means.

I can only hope tomorrow I wakre up & have my same "****ty" body I had 3 days ago.

01/08/09 52 lbs lost in one year post op.....[email protected]
Want to make extra $$$ ? Become a Gold Canyon Candle Demonstrator ! www.mygc.com/susan or email me !

Most Active