1st dr's visit since losing restriction & could use some help;(m-long)

Susan K.
on 10/4/11 11:12 pm - Beecher, IL
well, he seemed like he knows what he's doing. He's a new doctor for me because my insurance changed.

I wasn't happy about the amount of time he spent with me & he really didn't want to KNOW about my past Lap Band issues or even how many cc's were in whatever band I had, ???
All he cared about ( which I guess is the point that I went ) was getting rid of my severe acid reflux & then "starting" over , in his "eyes"...
He came to the "conclusion" I was overtightened, which makes NO sense to me since I LOST restriction. He said I should NEVER have had so much acid reflux and been on sooo many pills a day. 
He really didn't care that I had had it since I was 17 , etc...I guess he thinks he can fix it by doing this.
So, what he really wanted to do, was take out all of my fluid but he said a "part" of him didn't want to for fear I would go home and eat the kitchen sink, lol, which I can tell you was right, so, he took out about half. From what I can tell 3 cc's of my 7.5 cc's in my 14cc band. 
I am supposed to weigh myself this morning, email him my weight & STOP all antacid meds, grrr. 
Then in a week, email him my weight again to make sure I haven't gained.  To go back to band eating basics & be good for the week, etc etc, etc
He said to let him know about the acid reflux. 
Geesh. I never expected to have fluid REMOVED ??? 
After I get rid of the reflux, he said we're going to start over as if " I just had surgery" and go forward from there, 
OH & BTW- HE SAID ( UNDER FLOURO) HE DID "NOT" SEE ANYTHING TECHNICALLY WRONG WITH MY BAND. 
And all I can say to that is " Thank God ! "BUT, for those of you that have had similar issues, you also know there could be other things wrong with the band that he CAN'T see under flouro, right ? 
But , it's a start
I AM going to listen to him
I did gain 15 lbs in this last month & am no longer in my all time lowest size 18, so I DO have something to work towards. 
TODAY, I am bound and determined to BE GOOD & get back on track 
I have NO OTHER CHOICE but to listen to him & trust he knows what he's doing. 
He is STRICTLY a Lap Band doctor , & he says this is so that he can be a perfectionist and focus solely on the "issues" of ONE surgery type and KNOW everything about that surgery to help us better. 
He has a MUCH BETTER bed side manner than my other doc. 
Of course his rules about eating are somewhat opposite of what my surgery dr said.
This dr says I shouldn't have to "chew chew chew" to get food down.
That I shoujld be able to eat all foods, just more slowly & I need to learn ( while I'm eating all the foods I haven't eaten for 4 years) to recognize when I'm full.

I thought the whole purpose of the band was to eliminate completely relying on MY signal ( that I'm supposed to get) that I am full. Because If I am relying on it solely, this will NOT be successsfull.
I do not want to gain all this weight back while has me unfilled somewhat & wanting "me" to discipline myself as I would have with no band ?
Or, am I blowing this out of proportion ? Is he going to bring me back up there to where I have restriction again ? acid reflux or no acid reflux ?
I see him again in 2 weeks & hopefully he will have more time to spend with me then. ugh

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT-

01/08/09 52 lbs lost in one year post op.....[email protected]
Want to make extra $$$ ? Become a Gold Canyon Candle Demonstrator ! www.mygc.com/susan or email me !

sfnativewm
on 10/4/11 11:48 pm, edited 10/5/11 1:28 am
I know you have been through a lot, but I applaud your dr!!!!   Taking care of the acid reflux as a priority is a good dr!!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Lisa O.
on 10/5/11 12:44 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Did you have a hiatal hernia diagnosed and repaired during your LB surgery?
I did and it fixed my heartburn for 2 years.  I just started getting it again but would say it's mild compared to before.  I think it's pretty common for it to eventually come back with the band and some of the other WL surgeries that are restrictive, i.e., the sleeve.

I had my band emptied for 2 weeks once but because of sudden tightness.  The healing time is important if you have irritated your esophagus and stoma, etc.  Try to do as the doctor ordered and avoid all the things that trigger reflux, i.e., coffee, chocolate, citrus, tomato products, etc.  I'm sure you know the drill.

You can manage 2 weeks!  You can!

It will be really interesting to see if the reflux subsides.

Hang in there!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Susan K.
on 10/5/11 1:01 am - Beecher, IL
Lisa;

HI & yes the hiatel hernia was repaird 4 years ago.  This dr says they don't come back ??  I thought  they did .

But,we'l see.
Geesh, when I saw how much fluid he took from my band I almost started to cry
This band has been a life saver for me

for some people , it might not have changed their life, for me, I can keep up with my girls and look good on my husbands arm, after 25 years of being together !
That's what all this is about...

Yes, I can probably manage for the two weeks, I just downloaded a version of the Atkins diet , but will he just graduly put fluid back in ?  It took me a very LONG time to get to 7.5 cc's at a half of cc at a time for 4 years, ugh..  I can't wait another 4 years to get the same restriction ?

Want to make extra $$$ ? Become a Gold Canyon Candle Demonstrator ! www.mygc.com/susan or email me !

Lisa O.
on 10/5/11 1:33 am - Snoqualmie, WA
My surgeon was pretty agressive getting me back up to my previous level, I think 2cc's at a time.

To answer your other post, I lost my weight on 800 calories, 60-80 g of protein and about the same amount in carbs BUT if you're carb sensitive you probably want to keep your carbs between 25-50 g.  If you're looking for Ketosis I believe you have to be under 20 g of carbs.

If you exercise you will need more calories.  I'm working with a personal trainer now trying to strengthen my back and core.  She said we should create a 500 calorie deficit between calories eaten and calories burned to lose 1 lbs a week.  Now I'm supposed to eat about 1500 because I'm burning an average of 2100 calories a day but it's hard for me to get that much in if I'm eating healthy foods. 

I'm where you're at.  I'm trying to get back to basics to lose the last 30 lbs I want to reach goal.  I let refined sugar back into my life and it's been tough getting off of it!  I'm up 10 lbs from my lowest post op weight and my body seems to like it here very much, but I want to hit wonderland, even if it's 199.9!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Susan K.
on 10/5/11 1:52 am - Beecher, IL
Thank you  very much for the suggestion of Carb intake
I WILL take that seriously, because I really had NO idea where I should be at
I AM carb sensitive because I have PCOS & am borderline diabetic
My 12 yo daughter has PCOS ( for 2 years now) & has a tough time keeping her weight off.
She IS EXTREMELY active. She is on dance team & dances about 5 hours a night
My other daughters ( I have 4 all together) are dancers as well., so we are a very active family.  We definitly don't sit idle, we're always on the move.

My entire family , for the most part, eats healthy
We eat a primary vegetarian diet & soy meats, with some turkey & fish
I have taught my daughters how to read labels & nutrition info, but the one thing I never really touched on was carbs and all that vwe are doing NOW is not help my 12 yo or I to lose weight, so, it's time we tried another avenue, WATCHING THE CARBS....
I am excited to see where it takes us

If you have any more nutrition advice to give, please toss it my way. Not just for me, but my daughter as well.  I am trying to KEEP her from following the same path I did in my adolescent years.

kathkeb
on 10/5/11 8:40 am
Well -- I don't ever really eat until I am'full' -- that got me to 284 pounds

I eat my weighed/measured portion and I stop eating (or before that if I feel any discomfort at all)

If I wait 15 or 20 minutes after that, I realize that my band is working --- and I don't want to eat any more.  I am not full -- but I am satisfied

That is the single biggest change in my behaviors ---- learning to stop eating and wait for it to work

You have no (or little) control over what he is going to do

You have control over the amount and frequency that you feed yourself.
Basics --- protein at every meal/snack
No liquid calories
Limit refined carbs (and ONLY eat them if you are also eating protein)
Exercise a little -- or a little more
Get plenty of no-low calorie liquids
Kath

Susan K.
on 10/5/11 9:30 am - Beecher, IL
Wow- Kath

You've done a great job !
You hit the nail on the head, eat the appropiate portion & "WALK AWAY" for 20 minutes & really, most of the time, I changed my mind for the better, THE HARD PART IS WALKING AWAY

I will take your other 6 points into consideration
I'm starting my lists

Thanks

Most Active