Is LAP-BAND for me?

MadsMommy
on 11/14/11 11:27 pm
VSG on 05/20/13
My BMI is 47.2 i'm well over 100lbs overweight.

I want the safest surgery with the quickest recovery time.

With my BMI being so high, will I still be able to lose 100+ lbs with the lapband?

Nicole

NanaB.
on 11/14/11 11:43 pm
You need to ask your self the following questions:

1. Are you willing and able to change your lifestyle?
2. Do you have an eating disorder?  vomiting should be avoided at all costs.
3. Are you willing and able to see your surgeon every 4-6 weeks in the first year 1 or 2?
4. Will you get pre screened to make sure you are a candidate for the band?
5. Do you have great insurance or have funds to pay for any fills or needed unfills?
6. Are you willing and able to get some sort of exercise, walking, swimming, biking, etc at least 1 hour per day 5 days per week during your weight loss phase?

Have you researched the band fully? Know the Pros and Cons? First go the lap band website and read what it takes to be successful and the contradictions.

I lost 130 pounds with my band and it was fairly easy as long as I took my long 1 hour walks daily and seen my surgeon often, and I never dieted, but I made sure I ate proteins and veggies most of the time that I liked. I am still happy going on 7 years, with no complications, my surgery was quick, and I stayed over night, I work as a professional and I wanted the quickest safest surgery and so far so good.

Good luck

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Nic M
on 11/14/11 11:48 pm
You may be able to lose over 100 pounds with the lapband. It's been done. I did, but it was because I was completely unable to eat solid foods with the band.

Read the Revisions forum before making a life altering decision. You should know that the rate of reoperation with the lapband is very high. And you shouldn't plan on having the lapband for life. There is a very good chance that it will be a short term "solution." 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/a,messageboard/bo ard_id,5360/

It's been over 6 years since I had emergency band removal. I'm off to have a CT scan again today to find out why I'm STILL having horrible abdominal pain. Yes, over 6 years later, I still have horrible side effects from my time banded... which was Hell on Earth.

I'd recommend that you look at any other weight loss surgery options before the band. The advertisers know how to sell the lapband... they overpromise and completely under-deliver.

Good luck to you. Please read everything... good and bad. I hate to see another person go through what so many of us have.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Jordiesmama69
on 11/15/11 12:04 am - Roscoe, IL
It is very possible to lose 100 pounds and more. research all choices of wls then you decide what is the best choice for you. There are pros and cons to ALL surgeries and all require a lifestyle change and this is just a tool to help you on the journey. I had a BMI of 70 and now at a 31. I lost about 300 pounds in 3 years. I have had a few issues with my band but I have been pleased with my outcome. Research is the key, read the good with the bad!! best of luck in whatever decision that you make!
docd
on 11/15/11 12:06 am - AZ
well there you go madsmommie

in two posts you have the spectrum of the lap-band forum

there are potential complications that some people (that have personally had bad outcomes) make seem universal.

there are plenty of people that post here that have had it in for over a year and for some reason they have lost only 40 pounds. I'm guessing, but don't know that they have not followed nana's rules. (eat right and exercise) if you're looking to get around that formulas there will be no help regardless of the procedure.

I chose it because of the low up front cost, the low malnutrition potential, the short table time (ie less surgical risk) and the short surgical recovery/back to work in one week kind of issues.

I recommend that you listen to both sides, read more than just this forum, discuss it with several surgeons, and then make up your mind.

good luck.
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
Nic M
on 11/15/11 12:30 am
I had my lapband surgery in 2002. This has given me more than ample time to witness the band failures of dozens and dozens of my friends. Out of three dozen people I know personally, three have bands today.  They've all revised to another surgery or have been damaged and unable to revise. 

No one should go into lapbanding surgery thinking that this is going to be a way to lose weight and stay healthy for a lifetime. There are a few VERY lucky people who have their bands for over 5 years, but most start developing complications at 3 years out or so. To ME, that is VERY short term.

All a reasonable person has to do is peruse this forum and the Revisions forum and it's pretty clear cut as to how "effective" the band is for most people.  

In my opinion, it's important that all the facts are laid on the table for potential banding patients. I only wish I had had someone who was completely honest with me before undergoing surgery.  I can't even imagine why people still choose it when there are better and more effective options now.

Please feel free to join the Failed Band Group in my signature line. You'll find a lot of information about how badly bands can damage a body. If you want to do the best for yourself and your child, please take the time to know all the facts before choosing, MadsMommy.

I have a son who watched me suffer horribly with the lapband. And it's not something I'll ever forget. The day he sat, holding my hand, asking me if I was going to die will haunt me forever. And, yes, I WAS about to die, actually. The band had twisted my stomach, caused a bowel obstruction and damaged my diaphragm to the point where I had atrocious pain every single day. I was put on Fentanyl patches... the ones that are usually reserved for end stage cancer patients. And they did nothing for the pain at all. That's how bad it can get. So, don't believe the "safer, less invasive" BS. Because that's what it is... BS.

Lisa O.
on 11/15/11 12:52 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You can read my 3 year post op thread from yesterday and you'll see that I have been a band success story losing over 100 lbs and still happy with my surgery choice.

But...if my insurance would have covered the Sleeve Gastrectomy I would have had that surgery instead.  It's very similar (it's also a restrictive surgery), but it's permanent and doesn't require adjustments.  It's more invasive and there is more risk, but the results seem to be very good.

If you have good insurance I would consider both the band and the sleeve.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

docd
on 11/15/11 12:54 am - AZ
I don't call your answers Bull ****

why do you have to go there?

you don't know me. I didn't do anything to you. why be rude?

Why do the ladies on this forum go vulgar whenever anyone has a different opinion? One threw the F- bomb at me the other day for saying that a new exercise regime wasn't a substitute for proper diet.

Where is the civility on this board?
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
Nic M
on 11/15/11 12:58 am
MY post was to MadsMommy. 

There is nothing "rude" about my post. It's complete honesty.  And it wasn't directed at you in any way.

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/11 1:08 am, edited 11/15/11 1:09 am
One threw the F- bomb at me the other day for saying that a new exercise regime wasn't a substitute for proper diet.

you actually suggested to jolena that she should seek counseling to figure out why she needed to exercise.   you did that in another post you made that day & deleted each one.

Most Active