Fad Diets

lillipad1
on 1/9/12 1:02 pm
Has anyone ever heard of the HCG diet?
kathkeb
on 1/9/12 1:06 pm
Yes --- have heard of it-- never used it -- have friends who spent alot ot money to do it and then gained the weight back

Personally, I had my band surgery so that I could give up fad diets

Minus 130 pounds (lost it in 18 months, maintaining within 5 pounds of it for 13 months)
Kath

lillipad1
on 1/9/12 1:29 pm
I feel the same way about fad diets.  A couple of people at work are on the HCG diet and got off after 6 weeks and went on a 1500 cal diet and gained 8 pounds in one week.  anyone could loose weight on a 500 calorie diet but it doesn't last. 

I am struggling after 4 years post op but decided to go back to WW to get myself kick started again.  I have not been very successful with the LAP-BAND like others have been.  It seems that after loosing my first 40 pounds my weight leveled off and last year I gained 8-10 pounds.  Have you had any problems with not loosing the first couple of years?
kathkeb
on 1/9/12 1:42 pm
I went back to WW at 6 weeks post op -- and I went straight downward 130 pounds in about 18 months.  I never really plateaued ---- my losses were steady (if slow some weeks).

I had very consistent follow up with my surgeon (every 3 weeks, then every 4 - 6 weeks, then every 8 weeks, etc) --- I never had any gains while I was losing.

Now, a year after reaching my goal, I still go to WW and I weigh in every month -- as a Lifetime member --- and I stay within about  3 pounds up or down or my goal weight.

The constant meetings/weigh=ins keep me honest and accountable.
Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/12 7:39 pm - UK
 It has had very bad press in terms of health issues. And to me it seems pointless! You eat an amazingly low calorie diet - you lose weight. Don't need HCG to help you. Then you put it all back on!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

docd
on 1/9/12 8:17 pm - AZ
 It is very clearly a scam.
In studies where they gave people a shot of saline they did the same as those that got the HCG shot.
 Unfortunately, there is no medical substitute for eating less calories and exercising to burn more calories.

Doc

"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
NanaB.
on 1/9/12 10:59 pm

My place of employment just recently sent out a warning email to all employees about the HCG diet, again many people will still do anything to lose weight regardless if they harm their bodies, why do you think 50 percent of lap banders suffer complication? Because a lot of people are willing to keep their bands dangerously too tight until it just about kill them....

Below is the warning email to all employees...

Subject: FDA WARNING REGARDING HCG-Please give widest dissemination

All,

Here is some important information regarding the popular HCG diet. If you have already received this, please disregard.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers to steer clear of these "homeopathic" human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) weight-loss products.  They are sold in the form of oral drops, pellets and sprays and can be found online and in some retail stores. FDA and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have issued seven letters to companies warning them that they are selling illegal homeopathic HCG weight-loss drugs that have not been approved by FDA, and that make unsupported claims.

FDA advises consumers who have purchased homeopathic HCG for weight loss to stop using it, throw it out, and stop following the dieting instructions. Harmful effects should be reported online to FDA’s MedWatch program or by phone at 800-FDA-1088 (800-332-1088) and to the consumer’s health care professional.  Please see link below for more information and give widest dissemination. I know a lot of people have inquired about this so please spread the message.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.ht m

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Bette B.
on 1/9/12 11:19 pm
 In one word? "CRAP"

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

faithgirl140
on 1/10/12 6:00 am
Yes I am doing it right now. I did the 2 load days and yesterday was the 1st 500 cal day. I lost 1 lb this morning. I have done great today looking for those pounds to fall off tonight! There is a forum hcgdietinfo.com/forum and happilythinnerafter.com they have the rules and receipes for the diet. I get my hcg from alldaychemist.com and then I order my mixing supplies from HGCBASICS,com This has helped me so much when I have a gain after the holidays. You have to eat low carb after the 21 days no starches or sugar for p3 then gradually add carbs back p4. If you really want to lose weight it is so worth it. I have 29 lbs left till I meet my goal. I am so ready to get there. I am 3 1/2 years out with my lapband. You just have to try different things that work for you. Give it a try you will be on the loosers bench!!! email me at [email protected] if have more questions.
faithgirl140
on 1/10/12 10:56 pm
I have lost another 1 1/2 lbs last night so 2 1/2 lbs in 2 days. You won't gain the weight back if you follow the rules and eat no starches or sugars on the stablization part P3. You just eat low carb. You are suppost to weigh every day and if you go over 2 lbs you do a steak correction day. If you weigh everyday you will know if you are gaining. Best of Luck I am down 80 lbs as of this morning!!!! 194 I have not weighed this in 18 years. I am ready for 174 so that I can say I am down 100 lbs. It is going to happen this year. I am looking in to a tummy tuck maybe this time next year I can have it done.
Most Active