And today's question is...

cdoss
on 10/18/12 7:17 am
You have all been so helpful offering your experiences as I research whether or not a band is for me.  Thank you!  My questions today are:  What happens if something goes wrong with the band while I'm travelling?  Would I go to an emergency room?  Can a non-WLS doctor treat band issues in an emergency? 
NanaB .
on 10/18/12 7:57 am

Can a non-WLS doctor treat band issues in an emergency?  No.  This is why it is advisable to live close by to your band surgeon.

If you travel overseas for long periods of time you may want to remove saline to avoid any unexpected issues. If you are not that tight and is traveling for a week or so, it ok, but the tighter the band ..and the longer you may be away from home, it's advisble to get saline removed.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

grannymedic1
on 10/18/12 9:31 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
During the winter of 2011 we were going to be out of state for around 3 months so I called a bariatric surgeon that did bands who was near where we were to be. I asked if in case of problems they would treat me. I never needed the other surgeon because I never kept my band tight but the peace of mind was great. OH has lists of surgeons in many areas, or you can just google it.

The reason you would not want to go to a regular ER to get saline out, if that were the problem, is that they normally do not have hollow core needles and those are what are used to access the port without leaving a permanent hole. It has been done but is not desirable.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Stephanie M.
on 10/18/12 11:38 am
 At the time of banding they give you instructions for ER personnel in case it is needed.  I keep mine in my wallet with my ins card.
i wouldn't get an unfill to travel, since most who have had unfills report not being able to get back to the green zone, fill-wise.  I travel extensively, and I'm in Hawaii right now.  I know where the hospital is and I'm very careful.
If I were to chose again, it wouldn't be the band...I am in the same boat as many who are experiencing band issues after a year or two.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active