When Your Mother Says She's Fat

Jean M.
on 7/3/13 9:00 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I just want to share a wonderful article written by Australian writer Kasey Edwards, entitled "When Your Mother Says She's Fat." It's about the dangerous messages we get about body weight, not just from our parents but from our society. Edwards is dead-on, and her story is very touching. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.rolereboot.org/life/details/2013-06-when-your-mot her-says-shes-fat

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Kate -True Brit
on 7/3/13 9:05 pm - UK

A brilliant piece of writing! And so much we can all recognise in it.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 7/4/13 5:53 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh I had an aunt that spent years trying to bribe me to lose weight, she tried everything but the problem was I was wasn't that fat I was just a pudgy kid that hadn't grown into my weight. I ended up being 5' 9" and fit my height pretty good at 140-150. I just wasn't twig thin but she was just wasting her time cause I didn't care about being that thin so she kept bribing and I kept eating my normal foods. Yeah I went up and down but not more than 10-20 lbs then I'd starve back down. Not healthy but it was she who put those silly ideas in my head to begin with. Fortunately I always thought I was the bees knees so didn't have horrible self esteem but I could have been alot happier if she wasn't yippin' at me every time I saw her. Thank goodness it wasn't often they came to visit. My grand father and great uncles were all over 6'2" tall and over 250-300 lbs so being a skinny waif wasn't really in the cards!!!!

pineview01
on 7/5/13 8:09 am - Davison, MI

Good article Jean.  It is so sad what we as women do to ourselves and is done to us.  I'm still working thru these issues with a therapist as I continue my WLS journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active