Want my band out, in a panic

jenl71
on 6/14/16 2:26 pm

Hello,

I have had my band for for almost 8 years and lost weight for a while, but I am back up to my pre-surgery weight. I want my band out for many reasons; I haven't been able to eat meat/fish for several years because of getting stuck, I can't eat salad or raw vegetables without getting stuck, and I have heartburn and nausea frequently. I eat chips and soft foods all the time because they go down with less sliming. I can't eat healthy because of the band.

I last saw my surgeon 2 years ago with these complaints and he said of course I am going to gain weight eating the things I eat. I understand what he is saying, but I don't feel that he got the point of what I was saying and why I was eating the things I am eating. If I eat the things the way he recommends I get stuck/slime/feel nausea/throw up. He unfilled me but I haven't gotten better, only worse over time. I feel like he dismissed me at that visit, I know I am not a model patient for the lap band, but I am a patient that needs help. 

I have an appointment to see him soon, and am scared he will say no to removing the band. Can he do that? Just say 'no I won't remove it'?

I did call some other bariatric surgeons in the area, but they all told me they don't do anything with the lap band anymore, even just remove it.

Any advice?  Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 8:51 am
On June 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, jenl71 wrote:

Hello,

I have had my band for for almost 8 years and lost weight for a while, but I am back up to my pre-surgery weight. I want my band out for many reasons; I haven't been able to eat meat/fish for several years because of getting stuck, I can't eat salad or raw vegetables without getting stuck, and I have heartburn and nausea frequently. I eat chips and soft foods all the time because they go down with less sliming. I can't eat healthy because of the band.

I last saw my surgeon 2 years ago with these complaints and he said of course I am going to gain weight eating the things I eat. I understand what he is saying, but I don't feel that he got the point of what I was saying and why I was eating the things I am eating. If I eat the things the way he recommends I get stuck/slime/feel nausea/throw up. He unfilled me but I haven't gotten better, only worse over time. I feel like he dismissed me at that visit, I know I am not a model patient for the lap band, but I am a patient that needs help. 

I have an appointment to see him soon, and am scared he will say no to removing the band. Can he do that? Just say 'no I won't remove it'?

I did call some other bariatric surgeons in the area, but they all told me they don't do anything with the lap band anymore, even just remove it.

Any advice?  Thanks

Whoa... wrong thinking here~~

It is not his choice if you remove it or not.  That is not his decision, he has nothing to do with that decision.  It is his decision if HE will agree to do it, if he doesn't,  find a new surgeon~

Who is paying the fees here, you or him?

You need something and that is an attitude adjustment.  This is YOUR life, YOUR decision, and you will do what YOU want to do.  That is how this process works.

Any surgeon is going to want the surgery business if push comes to shove.  If you can't find someone then you need to get your ins co involved. Doctors don't want the follow up care from other surgeons, that's not where the money is.  The money is in surgery.  Some of these surgeons would remove a band from their dead cold mother if a buck was in it for them.

Brooklyn108
on 7/3/16 6:57 pm

If there is nothing wrong with the band, except you hate the ******g thing, then insurance won't pay to have it removed.

JaxLiving
on 6/15/16 11:51 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I ended up having a band/bypass revision by a different surgeon than the one who placed my band. My original surgeon has moved away. I will tell you that other surgeons are very particular about taking on a patient that they did not operate on the first time. I had to get approval by a three-surgeon panel to start with a new surgeon, and they only agreed to take me on if I was going to have a revision. They do not take on any patient that wants to keep the band! Apparently, the band is becoming quite obsolete! By the way, I am almost three weeks post-op, and am very happy with my decision.

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Want2TRVL
on 6/18/16 12:28 am
VBG on 07/31/16

This one is super easy!  Find a different surgeon. 

cheyenne000
on 7/15/16 11:31 am
VSG on 03/25/16

Hello Jen

I would talk to your Dr and ask him to give you a slight unfill. It sounds like you are to tight. maybe start with having 1/2 cc removed. That might help with food getting stuck and food choices. Mine would get tight for no reason and I would   have fluid taken out. If you have any questions please message me. Hope you get some help.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

jlr
on 8/4/16 11:29 am

I just had my band removed 2 days ago, it had slipped & the dr said it was a bad slip. I had it put in almost 6 years ago & did lose 60 lbs but I've had a lot of problems eating, vomited often. I haven't been able to eat solid foods for over a month without vomiting, nothing would stay down. I had 2 Upper GI's, I think the dr missed the slip on the first one. I am very happy to have the band out and will work very hard not to regain the weight as I don't want to do any more surgery. 

Katiemou1
on 8/10/16 10:34 am

I had very similar issues with eating. Take VERY small bites, chew a ton, and mix in fluid to give it some viscosity and take the dryness out. You should be able to eat salads and meat that way especislly fish. I have the MOST difficulty with dry chicken, low grade beef, or most lean items. But if you make the chicken juicy and mix liquid in (i.e. chicken stock, beef stock, or water) it helps a LOT!

Try to work with the band...my positionig matters a lot to, I will get stuck NO MATTER what I eat if I sit Cross legged while eating or if I have a tight bra or jeans on.

Anne O.
on 8/12/16 4:59 pm, edited 8/12/16 9:59 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Try going to Mexico. It costs a LOT less there. Be very careful about doing your research, though. There is a closed Facebook group called "WLS Mexico - How To Research Safely (Plastic Surgery)" with some people on there that can help you through the process. 

-Anne 

Most Active