ReBanding...info needed

Deedlbugg
on 10/19/16 10:38 am - Loafing in , PA

Hello everyone.

I was banded with a Realize band 3/8/08 and lost 100plus lbs with my band in a year. I have not had any type of fill in SIX years and was just gliding along happily maintaining my weight easily until this summer. I lost restriction completely.  Went it and did a check and realized I had a leak. Dr did an endoscopy this past Monday to be sure there was no erosion or slippage. There was not and my stomach is perfectly fine. I am scheduled to be unbanded and rebanded next week. I came back to this site (which had been such a source of information and comfort to me all those years ago) to get information about the types of bands available at this time and am in shock at the negative feedback about the bands. I'm now a little scared. My band had changed my life and I haven't had any issues at all until now. I figured a leak after 8 years isn't the worst thing and my insurance will pay for a new one, so I want it. After reading some of these posts Im a little jarred. Should I be more hesitant? Is the incidence of problems truly that bad?  The other types of WLS just aren't for me. What ARE the current bands on the market? Thoughts?

Deanne
I'm a nutritional overachiever!~ Author Unknown

Mell
on 10/19/16 12:58 pm

Hi!

My first small AP LapBand was put in 10/2006, I had a lot of scar tissue built up and had to have the large band put in 9/2011 (or somewhere around that date).

I was so scared that it would not be the same and I would never get my restriction like some people. I have a lapband and the realize band would like you to believe they are the same but they are not.  When filled the lap band balloons out, the realize band balloons with wise basically restricting a larger area but not as tight. 

I pushed that I get a new LAPBAND not Realize, since it worked for me before. I did have a different sweet or green spot I had to have more fluid than before but recovery went well and I asked them to re position my port.  After I lost all the weight my port settle in a very uncomfy spot, sort of at my pant line. 

What I found hardest about the process was going back to the liquid diet, I really had to stop and focus making sure I was planning my liquids and I was lucky that bone broth is available easily now (Sprouts) and that adds tons of protein.  I actually still use it in my soups to add protein. 

I tried to loose a little extra and retain myself as soon as I knew I had a date, just being super strict with my diet so that time when I was trying to get my restriction back that I did not gain too much.  I know the cycle of depression when you are gaining and feeling not in control of hunger and I made sure I talked myself out of it. Telling myself I would get back, by this point I had a family and I really had to talk with them about support, they were so used to me taking care of it all (my diet stuff) so I really need their help this time. 

It paid off I feel better and did not gain too much. And after I got my restriction back I was back to it and lost the weight, even had another baby the year after and it took longer but I did get that weight off. 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

rachelp
on 10/20/16 2:27 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

So you are ok with having to replace your lap band every 8 or 10 years for the rest of your life? They are like breast implants. Those have to be replaced every 10 years too. I'm glad I decided against the lap band. I'm not ok with all the surgeries. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/24/16 4:08 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm curious as to why you think a band is better than the other surgeries?  Years ago when I explored WLS, the band seemed best for someone at my weight (about 37 BMI at the time).  The thought of having something foreign in my body scared me off (as did RNY because of the malabsorbsion).

When I researched WLS again last year, VSG seemed perfect: No foreign body or malabsorption - just a smaller stomach.  I am thrilled that I made the choice to have it.  A lot of people revise from band to another surgery when it fails.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

nwnj
on 10/24/16 2:34 pm - Newton, NJ

Hi there,

I was banded on 12/16/2009 and lost 120 lbs.  I have re-gained 10lbs and am satisfied and comfortable with the slight weightgain. 

I also used to return to the Lapband Forum frequently the first few years but, like you, I read some very strong negative opinions about the Band. 

I don't have any major concerns with my band and I'm 100% pleased with it.  But I am a little worried that if I start to have trouble, eg, slippage, a leak, erosion, what would I do?  Clearly, the band has fallen out of favor with the doctors.  I think part of the problem with the negativity surrounding the band is that most people struggle to lose weight with it and with the other types of newer surgeries introduced, folks can lose more weight, faster than with the band.

I also like the idea that the band can be removed and I will still be "whole".  I'm leery of cutting out part of my stomach or re-routing things!  And, I like your logic about after 8 years with the band, a leak isn't the worst thing that could happen.  And hurrah for you that your insurance will pay for a new one.  That's a huge concern that I have if I ever need any sort of bariatric surgery.  And, like you, I would consider being re-banded.  I just don't know what I would do if I was ever told that I should consider a different type of surgery. 

You said in your post that you're scheduled for any day now to be unbanded and re-banded, so if you have decided to proceed, I wish you all the luck in the world.  I think you're making a good decision based on what has worked successfully for you. 

Please let me know what your final decision is/was?  I am always curious to hear from a fellow Lapband-er who still has the band and is doing well.

Good Luck!

North West New Jersey.

LilSleeved
on 12/10/16 2:45 am
I was like you, I loved the idea that the lapband could be removed and I would be "whole" -- I lost a lot in a very short time frame with my lapband. BUT after it caused the major scar tissue and tightened so drastically, it did major damage to my stomach. It was removed and I was Sleeved, however, I am nowhere near normal. I tell everyone with a band. Use it until you lose it and then hope and pray it hasn't permanently damaged your stomach. I have dismotility now -- I have severe acid reflux and it's all due to the damage from the Lapband. Don't think the Lapband is a benign procedure and it can be removed and you'll be whole and normal. It just doesn't work that way for everyone.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Nic M
on 12/10/16 9:15 am

I'm glad you're sharing your experience, LilSleeved. It's an important message! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Travelher
on 1/15/17 7:17 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Agree, my roommate in the hospital had so much scar tissue from the band it adhere his stomach to his liver!

crystal M.
on 10/25/16 10:58 am - Joliet, IL

Hello

I am a fellow bander and was banded 7+ years ago.  I have lost 190+ lbs.  The band has truly changed my life.  If I did most of the work and my band was just there for support or if it truly was the tool I needed it to be (I can never make up my mind).  I feel that I did so much of the work.  I still "dieted" and still felt hungry.  I went into this thinking that those things would something I would not have to deal with anymore.  But regardless, the surgery got me to change habits in my life that were killing me.  Forced me to get off my butt and exercise.  Why...well I thought...you just went through surgery to lose weight.  Now stop sitting around and start doing something!!!. 

So it was shear willpower and determination that made me want this band to work....LOL.  I worked out 6 days a week.  Stuck to a 800-1000 calorie diet for two years.  I lost the weight.  Now was that the band or me.  Maybe...both??? 

The band helps me maintain.  I am able to able to maintain my loss.  I have urges to eat things I shouldn't but I don't most of the time.  The band definitely helps me from over eating.  For instance when we go out to dinner and everyone is gorging on the breadsticks or appetizers.  I don't.  Why...because then I won't have any room for dinner.  Do you know how many calories I save right there???  LOL. 

In the end I would not change the fact I have a band.  So far it has helped me. 

Dmarah
on 2/17/17 10:56 am

Thanks for the positive message.  I too, was banded over 7 years ago and have had no problems, no regrets.  I appreciate hearing from another "bandit", reading all of the negative stuff on here is scary!

Most Active