11 years out and Getting ready to say goodbye

Kathryn B.
on 12/17/16 6:15 am - Midwest City, OK

Well I am 11 years out with my band and I am getting ready to say good bye to it.  My saying goodbye is not because I hit my goal and I have changed my life in a #jesussaves kinda way but rather because two days ago during an EGD for what my GI thought was possible IBS it was discovered that my band has eroded into my stomach.  And to quote my doctor "This is the worst case of erosion he has every seen".  I know this didn't happen over night and I know I should have taken better care of myself when things start to feel off a few years back but like many reading this life, kids, work, and everything else got in the way.  Looking back knowing now what has been causing my problems I should have clued in sooner but I didn't.  I also know that after my liver surgery I stopped the eating habits and everything that made my band successful at first.  Rather it was a mindful choice or not I was just thankful to be alive after dealing with that. 

I am can't say that I am back in the same boat I was.  I am still 150 pounds lighter than I was 11 years ago.  I don't seem to be gaining weight I stay in a 10 pound range of 250 to 260.   What I can say is for lack of a better term I am sad and scared. My family doesn't really get it and I don't blame them.  There is no real info out there about erosion other than the stats and people stories.  I can't find things to help me understand what I am looking with the surgery to remove the band and repair my stomach.  

I guess this post is just as much as a release as it is to ask if anyone who has dealt with erosion what steps they went through, how was it handled, how did you feel, how long did it take to heal.  I am sorry for the rambling just kinda numb still at this point. 

Mell
on 12/19/16 7:28 am

I have not had erosion but had to have my band at one point replaced with the large AP and one of the things the DR warned me about was that when he got in there he may not be able to replace it right way.

I FREAKED out!! In my mind I thought if I woke up with out my band I would instantly start gaining weight!  I love my band, even with all the issues, I cannot live without it and the thought of that scared the heck out of me!  

I totally understand you, I feel the same way no one really understands the anxiety I had (I am 10 years out) I am so sorry you are going through this I truly hope you can get through this and continue to use the tools you learned that helped with that 150lbs loss.  I am only down 110 - 120 but I would have NEVER done and kept this off without my band. 

Keep us posted please.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Kathryn B.
on 12/26/16 4:52 am - Midwest City, OK

It is nice to know I am not the only one who felt the anxiety. 

summerset
on 1/2/17 1:17 am

I had severe GERD and a band beginning to erode into the stomach. I had it removed and now have MGB. Best decision ever.

LisaCultJam
on 1/9/17 6:45 pm

So sorry about your erosion issue.  If it's any help, last year my surgeon told me that revision from the band to thee sleeve usually will bring more weight loss.  This revision would also eliminate the many issues that come with our beloves band.  

Jean McMillian, author of the book for lapband patients Bandwagon, had a band to sleeve revision.  She LOVED her band.  She may have some additional insight.

Take care.

Lisa

2011 goal                                  It works if you work it!  

BobbieDoll
on 9/8/17 5:18 pm - CO

I am having my slipped lapband removed and replaced by the sleeve. I had my lapband surgery in 2008. I lost a lot of weight over the years and if this were my first time, my weight would not qualify for medicare and my supplement insurance. I know my insurance will pay for the removal of the band, but will it pay for the sleeve if I am not as obese as required?
If someone knows, please respond. Thanks, Bobbie

Travelher
on 1/15/17 7:14 am
Revision on 10/04/16

Sorry this is happening to you.  Good luck with your surgery. Getting rid of my band was the best decision I ever made.  I ended up revising to rny.

mkbd1669
on 1/21/17 8:56 pm
Lap Band on 02/14/14

You have accomplished a lot you should be very proudl. Your band did not make you lose weight it simply helped you. Keep up your good habits & you will be fine. I find a good tool is always using a small plate for meals. The size of the plate is a reminder that I have to limit how much I eat at each meal. Good luck with everything. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/22/17 1:25 pm
This is a very typical issue. My understanding is that once the band is removed and the stomach repaired...things get better.

Many revise to a VSG or a RNY. Use the search function...there have been 100s of posts about this topic over the last 10 years.

Scott
Most Active