Band is finally out! Revision in 3-4 months

georgeb3
on 1/25/18 10:39 am - Abington, PA

Hello,

I had my lap-band surgery back in 2007. I initially lost 35 lbs. from the pre-surgical diet but only lost about 10-15 lbs. after the surgery. I fought and struggled for 10 years with the band to lose weight and finally gave up. I had it removed in December 2017 with the intention of revising over to the VSG. My insurance is making me go through a 3-month diet with a nutritionist before I can get the revision.

I was leaning toward the VSG because I'm hungry all the time and have IBS-D (basically dumping syndrome already!) However, I've been hearing more and more about VSG people getting really bad GERD...so now I'm not sure...

George

Nic M
on 1/27/18 11:30 am

Congratulations on getting the band removed. And also, congratulations on insurance being willing to pay for a revision!

When I was considering revising to VSG, I was told by a revision surgeon that he would need to make the sleeve fairly small in order for me to lose weight and it would most likely exacerbate the reflux I already had. But that doesn't mean that the same would hold true for you, of course.

You might want to talk with your surgeon about the possibility of GERD with the VSG. I think only your surgeon would be able to answer your question definitively, George. Best of luck. I hope all goes well for you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

georgeb3
on 1/27/18 1:04 pm - Abington, PA

Thanks for the response and well-wishes Nic!

So did you go with the rny instead? How well has it worked? Are you hungry?

George

Queen JB
on 1/29/18 2:30 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I revised to RNY after the band because I was too worried about the acid side effects from VSG. I suffered so badly for so long with it from the stupid band that I vowed to get a surgery that would heal it, not make it worse!

I got to my goal in 9 months, and have maintained within a 5lb range for 2 years. I do get hungry, but it is not like pre-op hunger! Not even close! And fullness feels a lot more satisfying than it ever did with the band. I don't know about you, but I never felt like normal-full with the band--I basically had to stop eating when the food got stuck and I started to vomit. I swear I eat so much MORE with RNY, now than I was eating before--but it is the right food for weight loss, so I can eat more and weigh less.

In a nutshell it's the best decision I ever made and I hope you feel as happy and successful as I feel!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

georgeb3
on 1/30/18 3:00 am - Abington, PA

Juniper Berry,

Wow that's great! Thanks for the information - I'm excited to get my revision surgery!

Thanks,

George

Nic M
on 2/1/18 4:12 pm

I wasn't able to revise. My original surgeon kind of screwed me up pretty badly. A couple other surgeons tried to "fix" his mistakes, but ultimately I had too much nerve damage to revise to another surgery. I regained and am fat and hungry! That is the truth.

Good luck, George! Hope all goes well.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

georgeb3
on 2/2/18 3:45 am - Abington, PA

Damn Nic, I'm sorry to hear that. That really sucks. Thanks for adding your response...I appreciate it.

George

George

Lapband - 2007-2017: HW: 313, SW: 275, LW: 263
VSG - May 2018: HW: 300, SW: 278, CW: 241, GW: 180

bethmal
on 4/5/18 5:16 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I had my band in 2006 and had it removed in August of 2017 because I developed severe acid reflux/GERD. I revised to rny in December and I have not had any symptom of reflux. I am down almost 50 pounds and off all medications. I had to 're'learn how to eat (I'm still fairly new at it), have to make sure to take my vitamins, drink at least 64 ounces of water a day and exercise. I have not had any episodes of dumping but I make sure to check the sugar in everything. I am never hungry, but that might be because I am only three months out. I am assuming the hunger will come back. I am still working on head hunger - nothing different than I did with the band. While I can't say I wish I did this in the first place, I can say that I used my band experience to go into this new lifestyle with more understanding that it is not an easy way out.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

twotimecharley
on 6/8/18 11:22 am

I had my band from '05 to '15 and had to have it removed due to it slipping. I'm 3 years out and up 50 lbs. I'm having a hard time being approved for the sleeve.

Did you have any problems with your insurance company?

Thanks in advance!

BobbieDoll
on 8/5/18 9:01 am - CO

I got my band April 2008 and removed Oct 2017 due to slippage. I had Cigna but am older now and on Medicare and a medigap supplement. Medicare will only pay if my BMI is minimum 35, I don't qualify. Two of my doctors tried to get insurance to pay. They said it was medically necessary. I have several medical issues. Medicare denied even though it was a revision. Medicaid will pay but not Medicare.

I am getting a VGS in 2 days, 4/7. Self pay. Today I am on the liquid diet and hungry. Can't wait to get this done. I am worried about all the talk about GERD but my doctor said it shouldn't be a problem. Right now my BMI is 30.

Most Active