Only horror stories?

Tara R.
on 5/5/18 8:57 pm - CA

its been a few years since I've been on. I only see horror stories! Is anyone doing well with their band? I was banded 12/2007 and am now 144 pounds. My height at weight was 350. 316 at surgery.

Naomi B.
on 5/6/18 4:06 am, edited 5/5/18 10:17 pm - Hanover, PA

Congrats to you, only people who have problems post here. I have had my lap band for over 13 years, not problem free, I have had my share of problems. I had my original band replaced back in 2012, I was more successful with my first band.

Mell
on 5/7/18 1:16 pm

I was banded 10/2006 at 300lbs now at 195, up about 15-20lbs from my low. Working to get back on track. I have had some issues with my band but so far it is still here and I truly appreciate it!

You have done awesome congrats!

Mellissa

Nic M
on 5/8/18 1:34 pm

I know two people who still have bands. They both had surgery in 2003-ish... the same time I did. One hasn't lost any weight but still has his band. He doesn't actually get it filled anymore and his doctor stopped doing bands and moved out of state.

The other person has had success. She eats a vegetarian diet and exercises regularly. She's had some issues that required corrective surgeries, but is otherwise doing well.

Congratulations on your success! That's a pretty major accomplishment!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

NatalieNTexas
on 5/8/18 7:56 pm, edited 5/8/18 12:56 pm - houston, TX

Tara,

I have been banded since 2007 with zero problems.

I achieved all my goals and more.

I only had one fill within that first year.

The only scare I had was when I was weightlifting and stupidly overworked my core and I believe the band scraped my insides. I thought it had moved so I went in for scanning and it was still safely where it should be.

My plastic surgeon and I agreed to visit removing the band during my tummy tuck.

Please check out my blog and reach out if you like:)

Mary F.
on 5/9/18 9:00 pm - East Windsor, NJ

Everything was always great for me Banded in 2007 and got below goal... Had to actually gain a bit (that's a first). I was going strong and well until Feb when an xray for something else showed my band slipped down and wouldn't let fluid through. Had to have it removed reluctantly but necessary.

Now I am gaining and scrambling to try to figure out my next move.

Mary

MoniqueW
on 5/10/18 3:31 pm

I was banded in 2008, I was 256 at the time of surgery and I loss approx. 30lbs. I had some issues with my esphogus enlarged due to the restriction of the band. My band was unfilled 6 mos. after it's placement and remained unfilled for 9 years. I had also developed major indigestion and heartburn so my band was removed in 2017. Lastly, my voice became permanently deeper due to the effects of the band.

I was so happy to have that device out of my body.

Highest Weight = 279lbs.
VSG Surgery Weight = 253 lbs.

Goal Weight = 175 lbs. (5'5)

Current:194

mooshiegirl
on 5/31/18 9:10 am - Richmond, VA

I made it 13 years with only minor slippage and reflux as issues. Sadly, I had to have the band removed in March due to a full slippage and flipping of the band but to be honest, I don't care. I still would rather take that over having parts of my body cut on if possible. I lost 185lbs with the band and I can't sing its praises enough. It technically does have a high complication rate in terms of slippage but I do believe that it is not a fault of the surgery itself but of our eating habits with the band, me included. Despite my hardest efforts, I have quickly gained 20lbs and am looking to return to Mexico to have a new band placed. I am quite determined to not have the sleeve done (I did not have any damage to my stomach from the previous band).

Grim_Traveller
on 6/28/18 1:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm curious -- how did they get the band in (and out) without cutting on you?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mooshiegirl
on 6/29/18 5:58 pm - Richmond, VA

Oh, they had to cut. Laparoscopic surgery for in and out.

Most Active