Only horror stories?

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/1/18 2:00 am

Oh they cut!! They had to dig that band out of my stomach!!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

BobbieDoll
on 8/5/18 9:47 am - CO

I loved my band! I was banded in 2008. I had not had a fill in years. I gained a little weight and went in for a fill. That is when my doctor told me it had slipped and I had to get it removed. I didn't even know it slipped. I had no problems so was surprised. I am getting a revision to a VSG because I am gaining weight. My BMI is 30 now. I have gained about 20 pounds since my band removal.

Eventually I think every band will have to be removed. My doctor doesn't do lapbands any more.

evediaz815
on 1/28/19 5:49 am

BobbiDoll how did your physician determine the band has slipped? was it just a routine visit or were there other specific test done?

I've been banded since 2008 replaced lap band approx 2013 or 2014 cant remember the exact date due to leak and band was not staying inflated. then no more issues until about 6 months or so ago. I finally made an appointment with a new surgeon since I've moved away. Now I have pretty bad acid reflux which Im on meds for but I have nightly coughs. I feel like Im aspirating at night barely eat any meat product because they make me nauseous or just stuck in my esophagus. I had a real scare coughing and was barely able to catch my breath..I am holding out for my appt about 10 more days.

BobbieDoll
on 1/28/19 6:24 am - CO

I had not been to the doctor in a couple or years and started gaining a little weight so went in for a fill. I was given an upper GI because I had some acid reflux problems. I did not know it was related to band slippage. The band was removed and a few months later I went in for a sleeve. During surgery my doctor determined I had a hernia so instead, I got a bypass. Absolutely no reflux now. Loving my bypass. My doctor does not do bands anymore. Band slippage can be dangerous. You can call me if you want and I will tell you all about my experience. You would need to private message me for my phone number.

Bobbie

Tara R.
on 4/16/19 8:10 pm - CA

My how a year has changed. Went to a surgeon today for my reflux and the fact that I've lost an additional 17 pounds with no changes on my part. Doctor is going to do an upper GI and remove my band. I'm scared and excited at the same time.

Kathy S.
on 4/17/19 5:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Tara,

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on how it goes

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

KattattaK
on 4/17/19 4:21 pm

I got the band in 2005. Everything was fine until about 2-3 years later. I was getting fills and all of a sudden the fills weren't lasting. I'd get a full around 2 and be fine but ravenous about 2 hours later and able to eat anything. It took YEARS (approximately 7-8) before the bariatric surgeon finally went ahead and sent me in to be checked and we discovered there was a slow leak and my band was broken in a few places. It took so long and so much fighting on my part with the bariatric surgeon that by the time he finally agreed to put in for authorization for band removal and revision to the sleeve, I'd changed my mind. I'd gotten used to eating and enjoying my food again and had too much time to think about other weight loss surgeries. I became afraid of revising to another surgery. Fast forward to today, I still have not had revision surgery and that old broken up band is still in my body. I don't know that band surgery is something I'd have again if I knew then what I know now.

Most Active