Considering LAP-Band surgery

sylknow
on 10/29/18 12:49 am, edited 10/29/18 12:51 am

Hi,

I have been having trouble losing weight, since I have fell down and cannot exercise. I am contemplating LAP Band Surgery. I would like to hear feedback from people who had this surgery. Why do some people revert the procedure? What is the success rate? How long have you had this surgery done? Are you happy? How big are the portions of food after surgery? Do you need to take special supplements for the rest of our life? Do you have diet restrictions? Other restrictions after surgery? Thanks so much in advance!

Gwen M.
on 11/4/18 7:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Apparently there's a high risk of the lap band shifting and eroding into you stomach or esophagus, which is why so many people need to have revisions. I'm surprised that any doctor will still do lap band - there are very few people who don't have problems by the 10 year mark.

While the surgery is technically reversible, the damage that the erosion causes is NOT reversible.

It's also a restriction only procedure, the two primary surgeries people get (RNY and VSG) include a metabolic component as well. Making them more effective.

As the bariatric surgeon at the support group I attend mentions, the lap band also requires lifetime followups and that's a challenge. If you move, it's hard to find a surgeon who will maintain your band in your new location because a lot of surgeons don't want to mess around with surgeries they didn't perform. If your surgeon retires, it can also be a huge challenge to find someone to take over your band maintenance.

Everyone I've met IRL who had the lap band falls into one of two categories.

1 - They had complications and had to revise to RNY or VSG.

2 - They brag about how they still throw up after every meal. (I actually know someone who does this. She brags about how she had lap band and "lost her 100 pounds," and still throws up whenever she tries to eat solid food. She's about 5-6 years post-op.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sylknow
on 11/21/18 12:05 am

Hi Gwen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write back with all the details! I am thinking on the sleeve surgery possibility now. It scares me that is irreversible, and the stomach left so small. How can a normal person eat all the person needs in such small amounts? Do they have to take vitamins forever after? Are there special vitamins they need to supplement? Did you have the sleeve surgery done? What is your experience, if you do not mind me asking. Thanks in advance. Take care! XX

Gwen M.
on 11/21/18 6:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Remember that the lap band isn't reversible either. While it might be possible to remove the band itself, the damage it can do to the body is permanent. (And, sorry to be morbid, but early death due to the damage obesity does to the body also isn't reversible.)

As you lose weight, the amount of calories your body needs to sustain a healthy weight is lower than the calories it needed to maintain an unhealthy weight. Considering that WLS is just a tool and people gain weight even after having WLS, it's entirely possible to a) eat enough to sustain a healthy weight and b) eat enough to gain weight. Even with a small stomach.

I'm 4.5 years post-op from VSG and still slowly working toward my ultimate goal weight. I eat 4-6 ounces a meal, three times a day. If I eat off plan, my weight loss will stall or I'll gain weight. Losing too much weight is rarely an issue.

With any WLS, including the band, you need to take vitamins for the rest of your life. Immediately post-op, a lot of surgeons want you to use high-quality chewable vitamins but, after that period, you can use high-quality vitamin pills.

My experience has been amazing. I've lost ~170 pounds, I'd like to lose about 30 more, but I'm not too stressed about it. I'm super happy with my body and all the things it can do :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sylknow
on 11/21/18 10:15 am

I am very happy for you and thanks again for your reply. It is very helpful to hear!

XX

kaytiebugs
on 11/6/18 5:52 pm - Flowery Branch, GA

I am having my lapband removed and revised to VSG on 11/30/2018. Do not waste abother moment of your life even thinking about the lapband. A dramatic number of doctors have stopped doing them. Some entire hospital systems have stopped doing them. Recent studies show a very high complication rate. I want to say 20 or 30% but it could be higher. And only 50% long term weight loss success. I am in a VSG Facebook group and soooo many people have had their bands revised to VSG. Just please don't. There might still be a few people on this board that are diehards and successful but they are the exception, not the rule. Look on the revision board. Visit the Facebook group "failed lapbands". The lapband is just an erosion waiting to happen.

sylknow
on 11/21/18 12:18 am, edited 11/21/18 2:12 am

Thank you very much for your reply!!! I am convinced now, no lapband for me! So, now I am exploring VSG

I am crossing fingers for your surgery to go really well, without complications! Take care XX

Staylor011
on 11/22/18 6:22 pm

Hello .I just had to respond cause as I am reading this I am one week out from my lap band removal surgery. So I was glad to read that others have convinced you to not do it. I will be having a gastric bypass in March after all the damaged is healed and I should have done that in the first place.

sylknow
on 11/22/18 11:41 pm, edited 11/22/18 3:43 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am considering VSG; it is a big decision. I wish you all the best! XX

lessopam
on 12/23/18 6:49 pm

I had a Lap band over 10 years ago, at first it was wonderful, I lost weight I felt good, then I started throwing upall my meats, suppliments stayed down, I went to a new dr for maintainance of the band fills, stopped losing weight and now I'm a preop for a VSG my new surgeon won't put in lap bands because one third of banders get revisions IMHO save the time and aggravation if you can get the more drastic surgery go for it

Most Active