To Lap-band or Sleeve??

Zee Starrlite
on 12/23/18 6:11 am

Wow, are there surgeons still willing to install and maintain Lap Bands? Don't waste your time!

If your husband and you have too many fears, try another wellness program like WW. The truth is, if YOU made up your mind, your husband will need to follow. And you have to make the decision weighing all possible consequences.

All best to you.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Laura in Texas
on 12/23/18 2:21 pm

Think about it. If the lap-band were a great option, MORE surgeons would be doing it now, but that is not the case. A friend of mine cannot even find a surgeon to take care of her fills.

Don't do it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

grannymedic1
on 12/29/18 12:02 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I have not been on this forum in a very long time but logged on today and saw your post.

I had the same dilemma you have. I desperately needed was but could not have bypass due to pre existing bone disease. I wanted VSG but was terrified of doing something so permanent and then found out that at that time my insurance would not pay for it.

Lin May of 2010 I got a Lap Band and let me tell you, it saved my life. All medical issues disappeared and I lost all my excess weight. I loved that thing, followed the rules, etc. I never could tolerate much fill in mine but that was ok by me. I was so grateful for my tool and was a super strong proponent. At the time there were a few on here who had problems, but not many.

Forward to April 2012, I started getting stuck very easily so my medical team and I decided to do a complete infill to let things heal. They did not. Even with no fill I got stuck easily and belched even from water. When I went back to my surgeon after a UGI he told me it had to come out. I was devastated.

I had had my band removed in Aug. 2012. A perfectly positioned ban vita no visible flaws except that I had to live on ice cream to get anything in. Oh how I mourned my band. I wouldn't even tell anyone here I had been forced to revise for about 6 weeks.

What am I trying to say? My beloved band had been trying to kill me. Shortly after my revision more and more people had to revise. My surgeon said there were so many that he wished he had never gotten involved with them. As it turns out, everything the manufacturers told us was lies. We fell for it hook line and sinker. I only am left with the belching problem and feel I got off lightly. Would I recommend one to anyone? No. It is too likely to have to be removed and if it does damage it might not be so easy to live with.

I have done well with my sleeve, it wasn't as invasive as I feared, and feel it is easy to live with. What ever surgery you choose, good luck.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

JimmieB
on 1/8/19 12:35 pm

Hello - I've been banded since 2003. Other than 2 port replacements for punctures, I've had very little trouble until recently. A great increase in reflux, all fluid removed, still reflux and only limited quantities of food possible.

BA swallow = probable band slip, large hiatal hernia.

I'm going for a sleeve conversion in a few weeks. I lost 110 # overall, and have gained 25 back.

I will NOT be fat again!

The band was a good idea, but one that just didn't live up to expectations. It was too difficult to get filled correctly, it was too undependable, fill technicians - especially for those who were banded in Mexico - were nearly impossible to find. It was too easy to "eat around" and the pouch stretched far too easily if one overate - and who didn't? That was what got us all into trouble with our weight in the first place!

I'm very surprised anyone is doing the Band any longer. Several years ago, the Bariatric Society issued a statement that the band was proven to have poor outcomes.

I'd strongly recommend against the band, and for a sleeve, or bypass. Consult several top surgeons for information.

Jim

Most Active