Port revision

Marybelle
on 1/31/19 11:03 am

I was a relatively early adopter of the band and had surgery in 2003, maintained a 160 lb loss for 15 years. Thankfully I haven't had any of the horror stories I've heard that seem to be quite common over the years.

However (there's always a however, it seems), around Christmas this year I noticed I could eat signidicantly more food than I should be able to. Like, cheeseburger and fries, pasta, all the things that should be more difficult with the band. Come to find out, my surgeon thinks there's a leak in my port and I'm due for a port replacement. I've gained weight like it's my job and the emotional and psychological effects are taking their toll. Every morning it feels like I'm searching through someone else's closet trying to find something to wear because nothing fits.

My question is, has anyone out there had port revision so far out from lap band or does everyone go for the sleeve these days? Due to cost I've decided to just replace the port right now since insurance won't cover it and I don't have a cool $15k sitting around to throw at another bariatric surgery. I guess I'd just like to hear from some folks who are long term banded and still successful.

Most Active