Having problems with choosing gastric bypass or band

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/19 4:23 pm - Tabor City, NC

I am new here on this side but I am overweight I am currently 480 lb I am having to make a decision on choosing either gastric bypass or a band what you in a sleeve I've been trying to study on all three but a choices are still hard what do you suggest.. I just want to be able to walk again without being in any pain I want to play with my kids in the yard make it to the graduation and weddings..

MBC803
on 2/13/20 11:12 am

The RNY is a dramatic procedure. Do a little research, check out the pictures and make you fully understand the life-long nutritional needs, support and complications. If you're severely obese , or just a bigger person, it's also more dangerous because you are under anesthesia for a longer period of time. If you still under 200 pounds, and a smaller stature, a good surgeon can get you on and off the table in the same time they can do a band. But ask questions, do you research and make sure you understand not just the commitment of an RNY but the potential risk of the surgery. That said, I wanted an RNY, by doctor talked me into a LAP-BAND. Loosing 100+ pounds with the band is very unusual and to do that I had to eliminate all sugar (even fruit) for about 3 years and exercise (cardio and strength) 4-6 days a week. You'll have faster results with a gastric bypass (expection is 5-15 pounds per week and up to 74% loss of the extra weight). The LAP-BAND is a really tool, is not a crutch. But it is a safer surgery. Consider the sleeve. It's more effective than LAGB (laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding), yields fast and greater results than LAGB placement but weight loss is slow and while it does not come with the same kind of ongoing life-long nutritional support or some of the nastier complications, like dumping syndrome, there are still potential side effects - the serious ones, like erosion - are rare but dysphasia and excessive vomiting (which can lead to community acquired pneumonia due to aspiring vomit into your lungs, damage to the esophagus -- but that is all preventable if you're a compliant patient and follow the no-no list -- no carbonated beverages, no rubbery or dry or dough foods, etc). If I could do it over, and I might, I'd get the sleeve.

Most Active