How to get back on track......

dlecia05
on 12/4/19 7:08 am, edited 12/4/19 7:11 am - Sylacauga, AL

Was holding steady at 187 for years. (5+) Had all my saline (2ml) removed due to constant acid reflux. (Gained 27 lbs in literally no time flat. (within 2 months and 1 week) (vacation and thanksgiving holiday didn't help any), However, no more reflux!

Got 1ml of saline added back in. (2 months and 1 week ago) weighed 214. I go back next week Dec 11 to get more saline added. I currently have no restriction. Praying that I haven't gained any more weight and hopefully lost at least 1 or 2 lbs.

I don't have any of my information about diet and allowable foods to eat any more from my consultation. (was banded in 2007 and that doctor has since retired and moved away)

Can some offer tips and advice about getting back on track? My time isn't as flexible as it used to be back in the day and energy isn't always there after working and traveling back and forth to work.

Remarried a couple of years ago and now have to consider another person in the cooking and food department or else I wouldn't really have to food shop on a constant basis and my menu would be just for me.

Also, if any one has their band removed and had a revision. Did you insurance cover any of that? I have BCBS and the gastroenterologist said i may have to have a revision. My band has slipped a little.

If I knew then what i know now, I would have had a different procedure. Had the option for that or gastric bypass. Have heard about docs not doing bands much any more.

Thanks in advance!!!

Pre-admission testing: 261
First goal: 185
Second goal: 180
Third goal:  178

ladygodiva1228
on 12/6/19 4:22 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would suggest checking out and participating on the Menu thread on the RNY forum (just because that one is the most active). That way you can see what other folks are eating daily. Also check out eggface Shelly had WLS years ago and posts some of the best meals for folks that have had WLS.

I am a band to bypass revision. My insurance was Cigna and though they gave me a hard time about it at first, they ended up approving the revision. I had reflux so bad even with a completely empty band I was popping tums like they were candy. Since the revision no more reflux.

Good Luck

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

dlecia05
on 2/18/20 6:02 am - Sylacauga, AL

Thanks ladygodiva1228. As of yesterday I went back to the gastroenterologist. He sent me to a nutritionist a couple of weeks ago and she gave me some info and talked about the gastric sleeve. But that's not an option since I have no co-morbidities and was self pay with my lapband due to the same.

However, at my appointment yesterday I thought I couldn't go any further with fills in my band since when I saw him about horrendous acid reflux I was at 2 mL (?****ep wanting to say cc's. Oh well. Any way he told me, no your band should go up to no more than 10. I was shocked! I'm like I thought it was maxed out at 2!!! So I thought to myself I've went almost 5 months, done gained almost 40lbs, stressing and having erratic high blood pressure every time I set foot in any doctor's office because my weight has went up and I could have just got more of a fill!!!??

Well he asked if I wanted to go up to 3 or a half. I went the full three. Well couldn't feel any restriction before leaving the office (drinking water). Well, I continued my day, started my first meal prep for me and the hubby so that took a lot of time and didn't get around to eating until late. Well let me tell you, I found out real quick that I finally had restriction! Had 2 bites of a hot dog and was miserable the whole night and at 8am this morning still is while trying to drink hot coffee to make it go down or whatever it decides. I slimed all night (sorry bedside garbage can). I puked a little hot dog at time but mostly slimed my way to the dawn hours. Didn't chew well and probably didn't need a hotdog anyway.

So I hope that this is the start to restriction and getting me to slow down with my food. But was a huge reminder.

Go back in 2 weeks and hope to have had some progress moving back down the scale.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/18/20 11:22 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Be super careful with that fill. I had done that a few times over the years I had my band and each time as the days went by I ended up having to have saline taken out because I wasn't able to swallow my own spit never mind water or eat anything.

With being "newly" filled I would stick to soft stuff like cottage cheese, shaved deli ham, yogurt, etc. Trust me if the fill was good even yogurt will fill you up fast.

Oh and I wouldn't do the sleeve after having a band due to the increase of GERD. If by chance you end up having issues with the band believe it or not insurance companies will pay for a revision due to medical necessities. Only way they wouldn't is if they don't cover WLS at all.

Good Luck.

dlecia05
on 7/30/21 10:38 am - Sylacauga, AL

Thanks Lady Godiva! Been awhile since I've been back on here. Hope all is well. I need to get back on here and see what kind of tips I can find to get back on track with my weight loss. My band isn't helping like it once was and it seems like my band is still loose. When I went to see a gastroenterologist about fill and such he said that it may be time to get it out and get a revision. But I know my insurance won't pay for it. So I want to try getting my eating habits back under control. Just don't know where to start. But thanks for replying!

ladygodiva1228
on 7/30/21 11:43 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It doesn't matter what type of surgery you have the RNY board does a daily menu type thing and it can be really helpful to everyone. I know lately IF or intermittent fasting has been working for a lot of folks. Both my husband (non-WLS) and myself have been doing it and it has helped to lose some regain during the pandemic.

Take a look at Dr. Sten Ekberg on youtube. He talks about fasting and all sorts of stuff. I know you can do this.

dlecia05
on 8/2/21 5:40 am - Sylacauga, AL

Thanks! I certainly will check the video out. Yes, the pandemic really put a setback in place. I'll check out the RNY board too because I want to reimplement healthy meals back into the rush of the day to day schedule and eating on the run. I sit the majority of the day for work and the breakroom and practically at my back. So I want to get back on track with healthy snacks that I can get down early in the morning.(if my band hasn't loosened up that morning for just liquids).

I'll also check out about intermittent fasting and the best timeframe for me because of my crazy schedule. (up at 4:45, work by 6am, off work varies between 2:30pm and 4:30, not including commute time. Home most days by 6pm and hope to be asleep by 10pm if I'm lucky). I just don't want to eat the wrong things when it's time to eat!

Thanks for the info and encouragement!!!!

TJFox
on 1/9/20 5:45 am

I have seen some articles posted on the ObesityHelp home page on how to get back on track. You might want to try searching those words in the search bar from the home page. I was able to pull up several articles.

dlecia05
on 2/18/20 6:03 am - Sylacauga, AL

Thanks TJFox!

Most Active