Having band removed , no revision - questions for those who have been there

Ilovemycat
on 2/22/20 3:42 am
Lap Band on 03/26/20

Hi everyone , after ten years of on on again off again troubles with my band I have finally made the decision to have it removed. It seems I've never had entered period of time without severe blockages even with soft foods , following the guidelines for chewing etc . I could eat a food on one occasion. And be fine qnd the very tone be blocked with the same thing. Being blocked with foods like oats etc . This has been an ongoing issue where I'd be ok for a good hike and the issue would return . I also had a very significant slip which required surgical repair several years back.

in a few weeks I'm booked to have the band out but it seems the vast majority of information I read is either from those who had revision surgery or others who said they regained the weight . I did lose weight over the years but it's been up and down.
I am wondering are there people who have managed to keep weight down after having the band removed without revisional surgery. Also I'm extremely nervous about this surgery for some reason . I think the length of time the bands been in there and my horrible experience with it . Also reading lots of story's about stomachs being cut during the removal procedure .
my dr and I have agreed that we will review where I'm at down the track re revision options ie sleeve or bypass but I'm hoping to gain a realistic perspective on people experiences and what my odds are if I'm following a healthy diet am I still going to regain weight simply because I'm with out the band . And also re the surgery . Thanks

Lauren010110
on 2/25/20 4:06 pm - Victorville, CA

I didn't think I had issues with the band until I wrote everything down that I missed because of it... I missed conversations and experiences because I was throwing up in the bathroom, or trying to hide the fact that I just threw up by "spitting it into a napkin"... my thoughts were overrun with thoughts of "This sucks, I feel so uncomfortable" etc. if I didn't have a cup of steaming hot broth every morning, I wouldn't eat for the day. when I traveled, I couldn't eat (swelling), when it was that time of the month, I couldn't eat (swelling, PMS... you know, the lovely stuff)... I was not living my best life. Originally, I was happy, lost a ton of weight, but I really didn't tackle what my root issues with food were... I would eat less, but would still eat the types of food that did nothing for me, consume slider foods and found ways to go around my band initially... After 80 pounds of regain and a buttload of shame going back to my surgeon, he ran tests and found that the upper part of my stomach had stretched... my surgeon couldn't tell me why or how I just knew that because the band was useless, I had to get it removed.

I had 2 options, remove the band and go at it by myself or go for a revision (one that I had to pay for out of pocket because insurance was a no go)

I chose the latter. I needed surgical intervention and had my "Come to Jesus moment" knowing I needed more than my weak disciplined motivation could take me. I didn't want to have to go under again, so I did what I needed to do to undergo both procedures (removal and revision) at once.

I needed something to make me ill if I consumed... Sugar is my weakness- I needed to kill that want with the fear of dumping syndrome. This is why the RnY was the best option for me.

I was petrified, crying on the table and knew this was for good. Thankfully, I had the sweetest nurse who held my hand and assured me I was in good hands. 10, 9, 8 and I was out, holding the hand of a stranger.

I did not have any issues at all during my surgery and recovery with the exception of where my port was located. I would get sharp pains as my body was healing.

Best of luck to you and wishing you the best

grannymedic1
on 4/27/20 5:07 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

If you don't have any fill in your band it may be easier but you may also find eating without restriction to be too much to handle. I knew myself enough to know I could not, would not be able to go it alone. With that I decided that when my band had to come out I revised to sleeve.

With that being said, I think you can safely evaluate later on. Do not be pressured either way. It is your body and your journey. Good luck to you.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

hollykim
on 5/10/20 8:03 am, edited 5/10/20 1:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 22, 2020 at 11:42 AM Pacific Time, Ilovemycat wrote:

Hi everyone , after ten years of on on again off again troubles with my band I have finally made the decision to have it removed. It seems I?ve never had entered period of time without severe blockages even with soft foods , following the guidelines for chewing etc . I could eat a food on one occasion. And be fine qnd the very tone be blocked with the same thing. Being blocked with foods like oats etc . This has been an ongoing issue where I?d be ok for a good hike and the issue would return . I also had a very significant slip which required surgical repair several years back.

in a few weeks I?m booked to have the band out but it seems the vast majority of information I read is either from those who had revision surgery or others who said they regained the weight . I did lose weight over the years but it?s been up and down.
I am wondering are there people who have managed to keep weight down after having the band removed without revisional surgery. Also I?m extremely nervous about this surgery for some reason . I think the length of time the bands been in there and my horrible experience with it . Also reading lots of story?s about stomachs being cut during the removal procedure .
my dr and I have agreed that we will review where I?m at down the track re revision options ie sleeve or bypass but I?m hoping to gain a realistic perspective on people experiences and what my odds are if I?m following a healthy diet am I still going to regain weight simply because I?m with out the band . And also re the surgery . Thanks

if keeping your weight off pre band didn?t work why do you think keeping your weight off post band will work?

Ghiagirl71
on 6/22/20 8:55 am - Winnipeg Manitoba , Mb

Hi there! I also had my lap band removed after several years. Even though I lost significant weight, if was an awful experience. The worst, being food getting stuck. Luckily removal was cost free but the damage has been done.
I have scar tissue inside and certain foods, STILL get stuck! It's really difficult for others to understand.
Over the years I have gained my weight back plus more. I don't regret my decision, just the fact I did not research lapband enough and it cost so much money. I am very happy I had it removed.

Good Luck to you!

Lmarrie
on 11/13/20 6:35 pm

I had my band removed in 2018 with no revision. I still weigh the same as I did the day of surgery. I had had my band since 2003.

Barbara H.
on 10/4/21 1:36 pm - La Mirada, CA

I got my lap band in 2006 did really good for a long while lost a hundred pounds but now I am up at least 40 of that I am so tired of this. I want to have it removed and I don't want to revision. I'm now 76 years old I'm kind of leery of the surgery but I know I need to look into it. How was your recovery through the surgery?

cbishop1
on 2/26/22 3:43 pm

I had the band in 2007 after two surgeries and one replaced due to hernia/slippage in 2020 I had the band removed. No issues with surgery per se. I gained weight but have had cancer 3 times and massive amounts of steroids. If I had not had steroids I don't think I would have gained so much weight. But, I have to have the restriction or I will keep eating. I don't know why but that is my issue. I am looking seriously at the endoscopic sleeve procedure.

Most Active