Recent Posts

OhHenry
on 2/22/19 2:15 pm
Topic: RE: Lapband appt after 5 years

Yes!

I had my LapBand in 2004. Lost weight and regained most.

I went to my doctor and found that I had dilation of the esophagus and upper stomach. He emptied my band, let me stomach rest for a month, and then did a partial refill (I had an upper gi to see the esophagus and stomach).

I am now 1 week post refill and feeling the restriction of the band.

The tool works, if we work the tool.

Lets us know how you are doing.

Best Wishes

Kim

OhHenry
on 2/22/19 2:11 pm
Topic: RE: Thiamin Deficiency (B1) on my blood tests

Hi!

What have you found out about your Thiamine deficiency?

I am reluctant to attribute it to the band since there is no malabsorption.

I would recommend you follow up with your regular doctor to evaluate a complete blood count.

Let us know how things are going.

Kim

OhHenry
on 2/22/19 2:08 pm
Topic: RE: Newly banded

Hi!

How are you doing?

I hope you are feeling better.

It sounds like you had typical discomfort after surgery. Hopefully you are feeling better.

Give us an update!

Kim

OhHenry
on 2/22/19 2:06 pm
Topic: RE: How many people are happy with the LapBand?

Hello,

I am generally happy with my LapBand. I lost 90lbs with the band and then started gaining weight. Not because anything was wrong with the band, but because I learned how to cheat. Cookies, Ice cream, chips....all go down without a hitch. I started overeating and ended up having a dilated esophagus and upper stomach.

I then had my band deflated, waited and month for the dilation to resolve and then got a partial fill.

I can feel the restriction again!

It is a tool, not a magic bullet. I am very happy with my band.

To me the advantages of the band include

less invasive surgery. The stomach is not being cut, so there is no risk of having leakage of stomach contents into your abdominal cavity.

No malabsorption . I am not going to have vitamin B deficiency, or anemia.

So, a week after the fill I am back on track and lost 4 lbs.

I do recommend the LapBand, but you have to work the system. It is the safest alternative. When I got the LapBand 14 years ago I thought there would be a medical (pill) to treat obesity by now. I am still hopeful for that, but for now I am happy with the tool of the lapBand.

Best wishes

Kim

knedelka64
on 2/18/19 1:33 pm

Hi Amy,

I can honestly say I don't regret a day of having gastric.. I failed gastric not gastric failed me. I would do it all over again. I was never sickly and yes I have heard horror stories too. I think it is the "other" health issues that cause the serious issues....I will say that I lost alot of weight and looked and felt amazing...but my head got the best of me and I took to many "just one more bites". If I had it to do all over again and I will soon I will never let my head talk me into over eating.

I hope this helps.

AmyAmyStone
on 2/18/19 8:10 am

I see that you had RNY. Is it not working for you? I have a lapband, and I am a little heavier now than when I got it in 2008. I had severe reflux for years and had to get some fill removed 3 times. I can't get any fill put back in because I still have reflux and tightening the band would only make it worse. I was considering VSG but have been informed that it, too, causes reflux. I have been thinking about RNY, but I'm terrified because my mother-in-law had it done and she died in the hospital after having the surgery. A girl with whom I went to school had RNY, and she was near death several months ago. Last I heard she is out of the hospital, so I assume she is getting better. Do you mind sharing your experience with RNY? It would be greatly appreciated!

knedelka64
on 2/17/19 6:14 pm
Topic: How many people are happy with the LapBand?

Hi,

I am planning a revision and the Lap Band is an option. Can I get some honest feedback on the pros and cons of the band?

Thank you

AmyAmyStone
on 2/14/19 6:10 pm
Topic: Price For Band Removal

I just got an email from my dr.'s office letting me know that self pay to have my band removed is going to be $19,000. That sounds like more than I paid to get the thing put in...That was back in 2008, so I don't really remember the exact amount, but I don't think it was quite that much.

Why did I get this stupid thing knowing my insurance wouldn't cover any of it? Stupid, yes, I know!

evediaz815
on 2/10/19 6:58 am
Topic: RE: Want Another Surgery

Hi Amy, I still have my lap band so I am not the audience you seek. I too am waiting for revision and the removal of the lap band due to severe reflux. My surgeon told me the sleeve was not something he recommends because it is also just a restrictive measure for weightloss and also will cause reflux in lots of people. He told me if I want the reflux to go away and loose weight RNY was the route to go for me.

Hope this info helps. Good luck..keep us posted on your progress

Most Active
Recent Topics
Price For Band Removal
AmyAmyStone · 0 replies · 59 views
Want Another Surgery
AmyAmyStone · 1 replies · 121 views
It's been a while....
hdmama · 1 replies · 107 views
Port revision
Marybelle · 0 replies · 115 views