Starting my Journey even though I don't feel it....

shortstuffever78
on 1/4/16 8:20 am

Hello Everyone! I am new the group and in anything obesity. I am looking for support and followers through my Journey. My surgery will be at Mt. Auburn Hospital which I can tell you that I am already not feeling that...and not to mention no one I have met including myself feels I need the surgery...so I am still trying to wrap my head around it all.

I started out with Hi Triglycerides, than yrs later to pre-diabetes...to sleep apnea and now to type 2 under control diabetes....i don't need meds etc just need to monitor my sugar intake...i dont even have to stick my finger thank god...

So I guess my body says i need the surgery and doctors...just my mind and everyone says no...so still struggling with it...I carry my weight well so most people who need the surgery are 3-4 times larger then me. I am very small and petite...so I guess that I why I am having a hard time with all this...so follow me why dont you!

I have already had my psych eval, nutrition meeting, I have immersion day on the 27th of Jan (this month) and going to 2 classes soon...all I am waiting for is my surgery date...since I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes couple weeks ago everything is happening so fast...surgery date they say will be in March/June!! Since Diagnosed with Type2 I am stricter on my food intake etc and already have lost 10lbs with out trying...I am going to the gym 4-5 times a week...even bought myself a fitbit HR which I love...so Im ready...guess my mind isnt...

Oh and I have to pay a $200.00 fee on immersion day...which are costs ins does not pay...$200 is not bad I think...not sure what others pay.

~L

Grim_Traveller
on 1/4/16 5:57 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Once upon a time, I could have written everything you did above. But time goes on. Health never improves while morbidly obese. I started taking oral diabetes meds. No big deal. Then had to start testing. Finger stivks 5 times a day. You get used to it. Then the oral meds weren't enough, so I had to start injections.

All the cartilage in my knees disappeared, so I had two replacements to look forward to. Then there were circulation problems, and the permanent neuropathy in my feet. I could go on and on and on.

If you qualify for WLS now, you are not nearly as healthy or petite as you think you are. You really aren't. You're a ticking time bomb.  Get the surgery now. If you wait, like I did, you will have permanent, irreversible damage.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

shortstuffever78
on 1/4/16 6:08 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement :-/...i think...i hear you...but still struggling with it.

Queen JB
on 1/16/16 5:06 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I had surgery with Dr. Kim at Mt Auburn. I love it there. The team is top notch. They will see you any time you need, they are kind and supportive, and the support groups are great (and best yet-- the parking is free!). Have you come to a Wednesday night group, yet? 

I agree that immersion day was a surprise expense. It may not seem like it's worth it at the time, but 2 months post op, it will all kick in and you'll realize how much you learned.

As for whether you "need" surgery or not...if you qualify, you need it. Period. There are a lot of people who are probably twice your size who are fighting their insurance companies. Be grateful that they are allowing this based on your co-morbidities. However, if you are in the mindset that this is not right for you, you should either bow out now or keep seeing Dr. Greenberg, until you feel comfortable with it. Do it go under the knife until you know this is what's right for you.

Please join us at support groups and meet everyone.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/16/16 6:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you qualify, you need it, is great advice. A lot of us convinced ourselves that we were really healthy, except for being morbidly obese. Morbid obesity is a ticking time bomb, and we were NOT healthy.

My program fee at Brigham/Faulkner was $500.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

shortstuffever78
on 1/16/16 10:55 am

Thanks...my concern right now is the hospital itself... Mt. Auburn hospital ranks are not the best but im getting betfer at dealing with all this as times goes on...i have lost 10lbs on my own with major diet change, gym and help with family...im not hungry, dietician says that my diet could not be more perfect...bought myself a fitbit and keep everything on my fitness pal...again its the surgery aspect but dr. Greenburg says its very normal...i mean i have never so much as has a stitch in my life let alone somone carve into me!..my husband is my biggest supporter and my hero. Im looking forward to the 27th...they said sugery date coming illl feel a bit better when i get that.

Queen JB
on 1/18/16 10:49 am
RNY on 07/20/15

All of the surgeons at Mt Auburn also perform surgeries at other hospitals. I actually had my first surgery (lap band) with Dr Kim at Tufts in 2009. I always loved Dr Kim but I didn't love Tufts. The staff was cold and despite going there about once a month for 5 years, no one ever showed a glimmer of recognition towards me. Plus parking sucked, and support groups were huge so, again...hard to get to know anyone.

My experience at Mt Auburn has been completely different. Literally the opposite of everything I didn't like about Tufts. My hospital stay was pleasant. Private room and lots of loving nurses to care for me. 

But really--you can ask your surgeon to follow them to a different hospital if that's where you are most comfortable!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Lisa F.
on 1/31/16 5:31 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi all -

i totally inderstand your fears, as I share them, but when I think about all the times I've tried to lose the weight on my own to beat myself up for being unsuccessful I realize this is the right choice.

im also in the pre-op phase at Mt Auburn and have been really impressed so far. I actually think I was in your immersion class last Wednesday (I was the one asking all the questions...LOL)! Am so happy to hear the great feedback. I had another surgery at MAH a few years go and had a great experience, so I'm not worried about going there. 

My my big concern is getting approved. I have Aetna and will finish the 3 month requirement in March so have no sense of how long it takes from there. My BMI is 42 but I don't have any health issues other than that so I'm afraid they will turn me down. 

Anyway, is nice to meet local people who are going through this. 

Lisa

shortstuffever78
on 1/31/16 5:35 pm

Hi lisa feel free to PM i am no longer in this support group as i found another with more activity...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 601 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2170 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4355 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4482 views