6+ years post op - going pretty well

KarenRNY2006
on 4/19/12 11:33 am - MD
(Posted this earlier on the surgery date board but wanted to share here since I am a native Baltimoron...lol)

I recall when I was pre-op, I couldn't find any posts or info here on patients that were pretty far out post op.  Wondered if they dropped off the face of the earth, died, or had gained weight and were too ashamed to post it here.  That is what I thought then.  
But rest assured- none of those reasons are mine--- I guess at some point I just stopped identifying myself as a bariatric patient.  
My old profile appears to have disappeared entirely :(
My pre-op weight was around 285 and height 5'3
My surgery date was Jan 17th 2006.

I met goal weight of 160 quickly and still am able to keep my weight between 145-165.  
I had a tons of issues right after surgery- couldn't tolerate any protein shakes so got dehydrated due to actual starvation for 4-6 months.  To this day I still have a significant intolerance to lactose and sucrose.  I have NEVER had issues with constipation- my issues was chronic diarrhea.  
I no longer have high blood pressure- in fact is low but no meds for it.  I have chronic vit D deficiency which was the case even before surgery.  I have iron deficiency but cannot take oral supplements due to non-absorption.  I have had to have IV infusions of iron this past year due to anemia.  This condition may be partially due to RNY surgery but also due to heavy menstral cycle.  I do not take daily vitamin or calcium supplements like I probably should.   I have never had plastic surgery and have a ton of loose skin on abdomen and thighs but people don't tend to notice it as i stay clothed...lol  I freely admit- I have never sustained an exercise regime and rrely follow the post op diet.  I tend to eat more starchy carbs but cannot do sugar or sugar alcohols.  I eat a lot of homemade chicken veggie soup and panara asiago cheese bagels.   I cannot tolerate raw leafy greens- they are out if me within 30 minutes of consuming them... It took over one year before I could eat chicken or beef and even now sometimes I need to vomit up these meats if I didn't chew it well or ate too much of it.  I have been back to buffets but it was probably at least 2 years before I was willing to go. 

Anyway, that is me in a nutshell.  I am not bragging or whinning.  This surgery has been a life changing event.  I still struggle, I still get frustrated and sad about things.  I still look for food as a comfort  (since about 3-4 years out) even though it tends not to provide any comfort any longer. I do not have stomach hunger but "head hunger" returned for me after about 3 years post op.   I still see myself as fat when I look in the mirror- I still try to avoid mirrors.  I have been on many rollercoasters at amusement parks and other fun things I couldn't fit when I was pre-op weight. I could babble on more but have to sign off now. 

My husband is now considering the RNY versus gastric sleeve so I am revisiting gastric surgery in a whole new way- secondhand :)

I am looking forward to skimming thru this site again to see how things are going and how things have changed.  Peace.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Therapist Recommendations?
marshmallowstar · 0 replies · 1832 views
Revisions
sauniee · 0 replies · 2786 views
Support
Lalaredd · 3 replies · 4000 views