Landed in the ER with a kidney stone and dangerously low Potassium Levels

kimkel
on 4/29/11 7:59 am - Ellsworth, ME
 Well I ended up waking my husband up Monday night at around 11:30 in horrible pain.  This pain was worse then labor pain and I have had 3 kids.  He took me to the ER and they found I had a kidney stone and on top of that they said my potassium levels were dangerously low.  The ER dr said that it was a good thing I came in because I could have died.  I had to go on 2 bags of Potassium and take 4 potassium pills while I was in the ER over the night.  They did get my potassium levels up but they were still below normal.  After quite the problems trying to get the correct prescription of potassium I picked up the kind that disolves in the water.  I will be trying it in a few minutes lets hope I can stomach it.  I have and some problems that is forsure with a pouch that got extremely irrirated from stress that caused me to be in a lot of pain.  Saw Dr. Toder for that and she put me on 2 meds for my stomach.  Finally started to get my stomach feeling better when the whole Kidney Stone and Low potassium happened.  On a good note I have gone down 4 pant sizes already and I will be 7 weeks out on this coming Monday.    I am a bit frustrated with the issues that I have had.  I still can't get in much for liquids and food.  Anyways I thought I would check in with you guys. :)

DavidReed
on 4/29/11 9:28 am
 Welcome Back!!!  Glad you are here!!!

My surger was 10 days before you, also with Dr. Toder.

I don't recall, what are the most likely causes of the kidney stones?  So far, I haven't had any problems like this, and I'd really like to know what to be on the lookout for.  So far, I've had no real medical issues, though I do have fairly frequent vomiting, depending on what I've eaten.  Usually, it's if I eat something with beef (a hamburger or meatball seems to be the exception to this), but many other things, not so lucky with.  Even salmon has been a little tough for me (dry.)

You don't say how much you've lost all told, but I've lost 40lbs since my surgery-day weight (I lost 75 pounds before surgery, and have now lost 115).  Like I said, I'm had my surgery 10 days earlier than you...I'd be interested to know how you are doing.

Hope you are well, and look forward to hearing your updates!

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

kimkel
on 4/29/11 9:47 am - Ellsworth, ME
 Hey David
Well the more research I have done the more I have learned that Low Potassium Levels also affect your kidney functions.  I was really dehydrated also which I guess all can lead to Kidney Stones.  The Er dr said he was shocked that I had not noticed I was having Low Potassium.  My hubby and I just looked at him and said well what are the symptoms LOL  He said leg cramps elevated heart rate ect.  I said well my body cramps up all of the time which was normal even before surgery and I have had an elevated heart rate for quite some time especially before surgery.  I would have had no idea what to look for. It is not like they ever go over any of this in our nutrician classes which I have to be honest I think perhaps they should.  This is a real issue. I had no idea that having low potassium could lead to death.  Very Scary.  I have had some problems with vomiting too.  I have to say that Meatballs sit really well with me.  I nuke 1 precooked one in the microwave and squish the grease on a paper towel and then I add some marinara sauce and Moz. cheese.  YUM.  Probably is the best tasting thing I have had thus far.  I had a 1/4 of a piece of wheat toast with melted american cheese on it the other day and that went over very well.  That was my first try with bread. I was extremely leary but all went well. I still can't eat or drink very much at all.  Way less then they say I should.  I just cant it comes back up or sits there uncomfortably.  She must have made my pouch supper small.  I wish I could figure this darn Weight tracker out but I can't find where I can get it to move.  My Start weight was actually 226 before surgery I was 205 when I started my 2 week liquid pre-op diet day of surgery I was 195.  At my 6 week appointment I was 165 not sure what I weight now because I try and just weigh myself on Mondays.  I think I am doing pretty good as far as my weight. I honestly didnt even get to go over my weight with Dr. Toder On Tuesday because that was the day I was still on the hospital and the ER dr insisted I go see her still for my 6 week followup because this was all surgery related.  I did however reschedule my dietician appointment to this coming Monday.  I was exhausted and still very dopped up from the 5 doses of pain meds they had to give me to dull the pain.  Dr. Toder kind of acted pissy with me like this was all my fault.  I certainly was not blamming her I knew the risks.
Most Active