Can I EVER use a straw?

Bkritty
on 8/7/11 1:02 am

I was just wondering if this whole not using a straw thing is forever and if so why? I had a complete and total flake moment and was drinking out of a straw the other day and had no problems whatsoever. As soon as I realized it I stopped, but I was thinking about it and that drink went down so much easier than sipping for me. I could get my fluids in so much easier if I could use a straw so I was just wondering if that is ever in my future? Does anyone know what the rationale is for why we can't?  

Kristie

cindibarre
on 8/7/11 10:11 pm - Danforth, ME
Kristie-

I think there are several reason why they don't want us using straws.

1.  You tend to lose control over intake with straws.
2.  You also take in air with a straw.

I'm one week out of surgery and I'm having trouble controlling my sips.  I'm sure if I switched to a straw I would be sucking in too much and have a lot of pain.  I went to a support group meeting where one girl said she ended up in the ER in massive pain cuz she used a straw.

I'd err on the side of caution and stay away from straws.  Dr. T told me that you have the highest probability of springing a leak in the first six weeks post surgery so I'm planning on being a very good patient for at least those six weeks.

Cindi
Bkritty
on 8/9/11 2:17 am
Congrats on your surgery Cindi! Keep us posted on how you are doing! The first couple of weeks are the hardest...it gets easier! We are all here to help you along the way! I agree that using a straw in the first 6 weeks is not a good idea..we are just debating beyond that. I have some research (I a nursing student) that I am going to bring to dr. T and tama that indicates it is fine further out. I will let you know what they say :)

DavidReed
on 8/8/11 10:11 am, edited 8/8/11 8:32 pm
Hi Kristie!

The short answer is:  "No."

The "real" answer is:  "Probably, but why?"

But the BEST is answer is:  "Why WOULD you?"  Because we went thorugh a year's worth of behavior modification, psychiatric evaluations, support group meetings, nutrtional counseling, surgical consults, constant weigh-ins, and then four weeks of a liquid diet and surgery and recovery, and then months of dieting, exercise, and more weigh-ins, couseling, and group meetings, to get to where we are now.  We went ALL THIS WAY to get here.

Now, okay, maybe "no harm" would come from using a straw.  Maybe it would.  I don't know.  The "best medical evidence" seems to indicate that our odds of complications are higher if we do, and odds of success are higher if we don't.

Given ALL THAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH to get to where we are...aren't we just better off to follow medical advice, and keep working toward our goals?

My feeling is that, given all we've been through, I want this, more than I want that.  And so, I gave up straws.  And fountain sodas (and regular sodas).  And I LOVE fountain sodas.  

But I want this more.

That's MY feeling about it.  But we each have to make our own decisions.  :-)

Hope you are still doing great Kristie!!!

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

Bkritty
on 8/9/11 1:44 am
Hi David,

I am doing great! I would never dream of deviating from my plan nor am I suggesting that I want to. I know what I have been through and have no intentions of doing anything to ruin that.

My question was WHY are straws a problem and if its just an initial problem while healing or if its a forever issue. Certainly I can understand if you drink caloric beverages through a straw than you would be more than likely consuming additional calories...but we shouldn't EVER be drinking fountain soda anyway.

Much evidence suggests that drinking through straws does NOT create problems in late post ops at all and that it is simply a myth. This is why was asking the question. I personally have no problem drinking water at a regular pace...I do not need to sip. I could get even more water in with a straw which is why I was asking. NOT to suggest I would do it against medical advice. I have a follow up with Dr. Toder and with Tama next week and will let you know the WHY in the whole straw debate. :)

I hope that you are still doing great too David!

DavidReed
on 8/9/11 9:23 am
HEHE!!!  I know, I think I was having a flair for the dramatic when I wrote that!  (I do do a little writing on the side...)

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

mainegal
on 8/14/11 11:04 pm - Thomaston, ME
Straws add air to the drink you're swallowing. I had and still have a problem trying to burp.

If I get a drink with a straw I remove the straw and tear off a bit of the plastic lid to make an opening and drink from the cup.

Emily     SW 320, Pre Surg 271.3, Lowest 189.8 Current 212.9 GW -155-188
Continuing the weight loss journey 10 pound goals at a time.  June 2011

Kathy B.
on 8/15/11 6:15 am - ME
Well, I know every bariatric center is different. BUT, after 2 months I tried a straw will no problems and my center said as long as you don't get gas bubbles from using a straw, go ahead and use it. So I do use a straw all the time. No issues at all.  Some times these precautions are meant for brand new patients during the healing process.

micbrook
on 8/15/11 9:23 pm - Clifton, ME
RNY on 11/21/07 with
The first couple of years i would have  problems with the straw.   I do not have a problem with burping  that is like second nature for me.    I do use a straw occasionally with no problems but i  dont most of the time.

I believe  in the first year it is an issue with gas and air and that can fill you up  and it can hurt.

A few years out and you can make that decision for yourself.  But  remember what i have said  lol
following the rules are important to our success.   And go from there. 

I do not drink with meals  that has become second nature.  I do not drink soda pop  and that hurts and does fill me up with gas.   I still have trouble with hard protein like  steak and dry hamburg  and my favorite  bread  hates me.  Even toasted i have problems with it.  Depending on how it is cooked i cant eat  rice  and pasta.  but i keep trying and remember to  chew chew chew.
  But  hard  candy has been my nemisis and i have  done real well this summer  not  having it. so i have lost  a little of the weight i have gained.   Now  EXERCISE is number one this fall  i will be back to zumba in september

have a great day!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 7:14 am - Savannah, TN
I use a straw if I am out at a restaurant.  I don't trust that the glasses are cleaned properly and I don't want my lips touching where someone else touched!  I know that's wierd...but that's me.  i do sip through the straw tho, never would try a big swig!

Laura
Most Active