5 Year Surgiversary!!!

katetme
on 3/31/13 10:47 pm - Center Lovell, ME

Hi everyone,

The founder of OH sent me a Happy Surgerversary for 5 years out. He mentioned and I agreed that people need to hear from those of us who are 3,4,5 years out.

I lost 100# in total and completely changed my life! My blood pressure began normal, my diabetes was cured, cholesterol levels normal. With minor complications, a bout with ulcers due to a staple migrating, and Vit D deficiency a couple of times, I really have had an easy time.

BUT>>>life changes, and my plans for plastic surgery to take care of excess skin had to be tabled and prob scrapped for ever, I find myself unhappy AGAIN about how I look, what I wear, and how my husband touches me. We have had financial disasters, and my moods have been from angry to bitter to sad to resigned. I retired from counseling to help my children by taking care of my grands full time and being home full time, some of my old snacking habits have crept back into my life. Consequently, I have gained about 20# back, can't fit into my size 6 clothes(and I got rid of all the others) and am wearing yoga pants everyday. Winters in Maine are tough, as you all know, I bought a tread mill to try and stave off the gaini, but running on a tread mill is the most boring thing. I hate the cold and just won't go out in it.My DH and I bought each other bicycles for Christmas and I am hoping that that will be a fun way to get back on track. I run in the spring, summer and fall, and hike. I really expect to lose most of this extra weight by the end of summer. We'll see.

SO...as many, mnany people will tell you, WLS is a tool to help with the ultimate goal of getting in control of this demon, it is not the end, though. I am disappointed in myself but not giving up or saying it wasn't the right thing to do. It was, for me, the smartest decision I have ever made. I lost 2 1/2 siblings and my biological father to obesity related illness, and have a 330# 1/2 brother who is so, so sick 2 heart attacks and a stroke in the last 6 months so I KNOW I would be dead or disabled by now if I hadn't done this. I literally saved my own life and I am proud of that. My love and best to all my WLS family here in Maine and throughout the country. You were the most important piece to my success!!

It was magic when she realized who she had become...
Kate    
Highest    Pre-op     right after Surgery         Current       Goal
      236          213                  219                            140         130

96 lbs lost and gone forever!!  To God goes the Glory!

Finally it moved!

micbrook
on 4/7/13 5:38 am - Clifton, ME
RNY on 11/21/07 with
Congratulations on ur anniversary. I am five and a half years out. I gained about fifteen pounds back and work on that all the time. It is normal to gain around ten for each hundred u r still successful. We just need to stop the gain and get back on track. Which u r doing. That is wonderful. This winter I was so cold I would not go out and did not exercise but I am back to Zumba and am going to try to stick with it . Remember this procedure was not head surgery all those old demons are still there we have to change our own heads but think of all the extra time ur grandchildren have had with u. I am so proud of all u have accomplished. Take care and stay in touch. Patty

cbsweet33
on 4/22/13 8:12 pm

Kate,

Thank you for sharing your story.  I think logging onto this site this morning, has been the best thing I have done for awhile.  I have found inspiration. 

I have not reached my goal-I am quite away from it.  This Sept it will be 3 years out for me. Gaining back my weight has been a big disappointment to me.  I struggle with those carbs and I hope to steer clear. 

Thank you.

Lynda H.
on 8/3/13 10:04 am

Keep up the great work on your weight loss, and don't give up. You can do it. I had weighed 321lbs when i first signed up with the SWL program, the day of my surgery, i weighed 303 lbs on June 12, 2008, the lowest I have been is 224 lbs, and as of 3 weeks ago @ TOPS#ME Winterport, i had weighed 235lbs. i am NOT giving up. i am 55 yrs old, i desire to get this weight off. I still have my C-pap, that I am using at night, every night.

My BP is good, and I don't have diabetes, my cholesterol is good too. At this time, I am doing water aerobics low-impact @ The YWCA here in Bangor, it does help on my joints:-) I have Physical Therapy exercises to do, and when I am here in the Bangor area for 2 or 3 weeks, I can go to PT, X 2 a week. What an answer to prayer for the exercises & the pool 2-3 times a week.

My email address is [email protected]  

I have been diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis, fibromyalgia, sciatic nerve problems, and I have got to have my right knee replaced, don't know when, as of May I have fluid on the knee, synovial cyst on the outer edge right knee, we can't see it, but the MRI noticed it.

I haven't been to a SWL Support group because of things had been happening in our home, and as of May - JUly and August as well, I have been going to Boston VA medical with my Loving Husband to have a Tumor removed from his neck in June, July he was to go for a follow-up, and then had another surgery on the 22 of July in the same incision in his upper neck & upper back, then he has to go back down to Boston VA on the 14th of August, so i will miss that support group, too.( going on 32 yrs come Sept.)

Your SWL friend,

Lynda

katetme
on 8/4/13 4:52 am - Center Lovell, ME

Thank you thank you thank you for reminding me why I loved this site so much. I got back from a 2 week vacation camping, rode bikes, walked, hiked but didn't gain a pound, didn't lose either but there it is.

I have had a couple of "spells' of chest pain that required me to have a abdominal ultrasound.(they were thinking gall bladder at first)..showed nothing..so am scheduled for a nuclear stress test. With my family hx I have to do this..but without health insurance I am devastated at what this could all mean...the least is the 2200$ for these 2 tests, let alone if they find something wrong. I have worked hard on being content with my cir****tances and I think stress has a great del to do with my current struggles with food after having it handled for so long.

I do believe the plastic surgery was an absolute cure all in my head and now that I can't do any of it, my attitude changed and not for the better. I am working on it, I promise. Love to you all, and grace for your day!!

Kate

It was magic when she realized who she had become...
Kate    
Highest    Pre-op     right after Surgery         Current       Goal
      236          213                  219                            140         130

96 lbs lost and gone forever!!  To God goes the Glory!

Finally it moved!

Most Active