Recent Posts

zoozie
on 9/1/18 6:07 am
VSG on 05/23/18
Topic: RE: Help!

I think it depends on the group you are working with, but I know the group in Portland, Casco Bay Surgery has a med DR on board that just specializes in that. Dr Ahmann (I think I spelled that correctly) is his name. Great group, that's where I had my work done and have been very happy with them..Good Luck.

micbrook
on 1/12/18 9:49 am - Clifton, ME
RNY on 11/21/07 with
Topic: February clothes swap Friday February 2 at Friday night SWL meeting at EMMC bangor

Hi all Friday night surgical Weightloss support group is also a clothes swap. It is for pre op. Post op patients and anyone else who could use them. Bring your clean gently used clothing and you can give and take no money exchanges hands. Hope everyone is doing good and had great holidays

katetme
on 1/4/18 7:51 am - Center Lovell, ME
Topic: RE: Revision...

Hi Jewlz,

We followed each other back in 2008!

You are the consumer here, they are the providers, their product failed you. You have the right to a revision if you want it.

Good luck, stay strong, advocate for YOU!

Kate

It was magic when she realized who she had become...
Kate    
Highest    Pre-op     right after Surgery         Current       Goal
      236          213                  219                            140         130

96 lbs lost and gone forever!!  To God goes the Glory!

Finally it moved!

jennylynn94
on 6/17/17 8:18 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone had Lap-band to RNY revision in Augusta by Dr. Trieu at Mainegeneral???

P.S. How did your revision go?

H/C/G = 303/262/170     Ht.= 5'3    Fill #1 = 4cc's  Fill #2 = 2cc's  Fill #3 = 0.5cc's
1st goal = 275, met 9/2/08
2nd goal = 260

jennylynn94
on 6/17/17 8:15 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone had Lap-band to RNY revision in Augusta by Dr. Trieu at Mainegeneral???

Thank you, Simon, for your response. I haven't been on OH for a while, and apologize for not seeing your message sooner.

Back in 2008, lap band was still the popular choice. My main reason for choosing it was because it was the least invasive. Fast forward to today, I wish I had done further research on some of the specific complications. I've learned the big issue I have is esophageal spasms. It happens if I'm stressed, very hungry, getting enough water to drink, and first thing in the morning can't drink cold water. It really sucks. I thought for the longest time that I was not chewing enough or eating to fast. But, after several months of instances where I've been really hungry, I would sip some water before eating - thinking it would help lubricate things. The water would seem to get stuck. How water not even go through? The band isn't too tight - I actually had to have a little removed after my 3rd fill, so only have about 6.25 cc's in a 10 cc band for the last 7-8 years.

Continued frustration lead me to look this problem up to figure out what was going on, and it brought me to a bariatric journal article from Sweden (I think) written in 2006. Two years before mine was put in! It described the low long-term success and growing numbers of complications. It concluded that the lap band was a not a good choice for long-term weight loss in morbidly obese patients.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. I was astounded - how could all these surgeons still be endorsing and performing this surgery? They had to have seen this article, and other's like them? Right?

Guess not.

So, now I have a referral in for the revision and will probably have a consult some time in August or Sept. Not a 100% I want the RNY yet, but definitely want this band O U T! I'm so beyond done with it.

Thank you again for your encouragement and support :)

H/C/G = 303/262/170     Ht.= 5'3    Fill #1 = 4cc's  Fill #2 = 2cc's  Fill #3 = 0.5cc's
1st goal = 275, met 9/2/08
2nd goal = 260

ljr82
on 4/22/17 7:11 am
Topic: RE: Excess skin removal

I do agree the cost is the factor, and my insurance company says i have to have reoccuring infections at least 6 times and treated for them or you skin has to fall 2 inches below your pubic bone. and i investigated the cost and with my insurance it will cost 30K + IF they do approve it. Maine care pays for it which i don't get but there is alot with our insurance system i don't under stand.

one of my friends had a Bypass and then the plastic surgery and she had maine care and she paid out of pocket 159.00 for both. I had just the bypass with commercial insurance and i paid 10K out of pocket.

Just don't get it

don't mean to be a debbie downer but worked so hard and just would like to finish......

Shellygirl1024
on 4/19/17 5:12 pm
Topic: RE: Mainecare

Hi I was wondering how long the process was for you? I am going in may for the patient orientation class and I'm nervous and excited. Thank you ?

lynzie
on 10/20/16 10:19 am - Sanford, ME
Topic: RE: Revision...

Hey there. I've considered a revision to the sleeve. Not sure if my insurance would even cover it!!!

good luck

Highest 339/ Surgery day 322/ Current 240/ 1st Goal 200
Oct8th 1st fill 4cc's, Nov17th 2nd fill +1cc,July1st 3rd fill +.4cc

MaryParlin
on 6/23/16 8:08 am - Portland, me
Topic: Mainecare

Hi

I'll be starting the Bariatric program on August 4,2016 and i'm wondering how long doess it take to go through the program and how long does it take for Mainecare to approve it?I have a BMI of 43.1 and i have severe sleep apnea and high blood pressure.I've been on the Bi-pap machine for 6 yrs now and hoping that having the RNY gastric bypass will cure it.Has anyone had any troubles with Mainecare approving the requests?

Thankyou

Julz
on 3/28/16 3:12 pm - Springvale, ME
Topic: Revision...

In March 2008, I had lap band surgery with Dr Cobean. I lost roughly 40 pounds way back, but am now heavier than I ever was pre surgery. I'm very interested in a revision to gastric bypass, but don't know how to approach this with my doctor. I feel nervous that because I failed with the band I would be turned away. Any ideas, input, advice... I'd greatly appreciate it. 

I am also curious if it would be possible to go through SMMC as it is closer to me.

Thank you. 

Julie

Julz

Highest weight:275-Surgery Day weight:248-Current weight:269

Most Active