NG tube post op fear

aakers77
on 4/18/11 4:51 am - MI
I am very afraid of the NG tube they leave in you after surgery I need to know other experiences with this.  It's making me think I can't go through the surgery.  I have a huge fear of things being down my throat or down my nose.  Any help would be appreciated
marymazilla
on 4/18/11 5:19 am - GARDEN CITY, MI
my ng tube was only in during the surgery.
they put it in when I was sedated and removed it before i woke up. they don't leave it in after surgery. but they do keep you on a catheter for a day or so after surgery. NO NG tube.

I think that would be something in very extreme cases. So if any one had experienced that please chime in.

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Dawnie 88
on 4/18/11 5:36 am
I didn't wake up with any tubes..or drains.  I didn't even have a catheter.  If I did have a catheter it was out before i woke up.

Paul11011
on 4/19/11 12:24 pm
I think that's the GHP way.  Nothing for me either.
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

momofsix
on 4/18/11 6:03 am - Pinckney, MI

I didn't have an NG tube when I woke up either.... Not sure if they did one or not, but if they did it was while I was out.  I did have a cath for a day or so though, I can't really remember exactly how long, but that was no big deal and I was actually glad to have it so that I didn't have to try and get on and off the pot right away... LOL....  I did have one drain as well, and that was a breeze.  I was terrified about when they removed it, but it was nothing.... You will do fine.....

HUGS,

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

aakers77
on 4/18/11 7:22 am - MI
Thank you so much.  It's neat to see we have the same dr too.  Did you go through Hurley?  I am so thankful I found this.  I really have no time to actually go to a support group though I am going to make time because this already has been so helpful to talk with others.  I hope you have a wonderful eve and thank you. 
momofsix
on 4/18/11 7:32 am - Pinckney, MI

Yes, I went through Hurley... I followed with them for the first year and now I am just followed with my PCP for blood work annually....  Hurley is AMAZING and I am so glad that I went through them.....  I got involved in a local support group in the Ann Arbor area for a bit, but that kinda didn't work for me, so this has been my support as well... Let me know if you need to talk or anything, I am on here everyday, just don't post all the time.... You can always friend me and PM me if you need to chat or talk.... As long as I am not at work, I seem to be on the puter, LOL.....  Well, you have a good evening too.... Hope to talk to  you more soon....

HUGS,

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

Melissa D.
on 4/20/11 2:41 am - Zeeland, MI
I had the same fear before my surgery. The NG tube was out before I came too and they took the catheter out shortly after I was moved to my room - didn't feel a thing when they removed it.
Melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics