Thyroid Cancer

Robin
on 10/13/11 3:03 am - Walled Lake, MI
Has anyone had Thyroid Cancer and needed there thyroid removed??

Thanks,

Robin
momofsix
on 10/13/11 5:26 am - Pinckney, MI

I have a friend that had Grave's disease and her thyroid removed, but it wasn't cancer.  This was like 8 years ago she had it done, takes thyroid meds and is doing well.  Don't know if that helps or not.  Did you or someone you know recently get diagnosed with cancer?  If so I am so sorry and best wishes on treatment and a healthy recovery.

HUGS,

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

Robin
on 10/13/11 7:12 am - Walled Lake, MI
I was me....I had surgery 2.5 weeks ago and hope things will get better soon.

Thanks,

Robin
momofsix
on 10/14/11 6:21 am - Pinckney, MI

My thoughts and prayers are with you Robin as you recover and heal from such a difficult ordeal..... I am sure you will be just fine, it just takes time to heal.  Good Luck and God be with you!  (if you believe).

HUGS,

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

Robin
on 10/14/11 8:58 am - Walled Lake, MI
Thanks so much

Robin
cheryl B.
on 10/18/11 12:05 pm - Oxford, MI
I had thyroid cancer when I was 29 (14 years ago). I first had my right side of the throid taken out 6 weeks later the left. They were unsure if it was cancer , It was. After 2nd surgery I had  radiation. Then 5 years after that I had second dose of radiation. I am considered cancer free now.  Thyroid cancer is actually one of the top five cancers that a doctor would pick for themselves if they had to have cancer. So that is a good thing.

Stay strong. You can get through this and be a stronger person.

Best Wishes
Robin
on 10/18/11 12:24 pm - Walled Lake, MI
Thanks so much

Robin
carlak
on 11/19/11 5:18 am - Bradenton, FL
 Robin,
I had Thyroid cancer in 2008 8 years after my rny. I had to have the I131 treatment. I was put in the hospital for 4 days. I had to swallow a pill and stay in the hospital for 4 days.
I had a total thyroid removal. I take 88 mcg of thyroid medicine a day. They had to play with my dose for a while. 
I do have to have a scan every year though. I see the oncologist every 6 months to a year.
If you have to get cancer thyroid cancer is the cancer to get. It is curable.
Carla
I had stage one. 
image hosting site

Robin
on 11/19/11 6:43 am - Walled Lake, MI
Carla,

I am also 8 years out and I also had the iodine 131.  I just started synthroid and I am on 175mcg.  I had my entire thyroid removed and 36 lymph nodes, 8 were malignant.  So, mine spread.

You are correct, its curable and treatable.  I go to  the endocrinologist next month and will need to follow up with him every 6 months for the first 2 years.

Thanks so much and I wish you all the best.

Robin

Happy and Healthy Holidays

3redgoldens
on 11/20/11 3:10 am
I am about 10 yrs out. Total thyroidectomy with I131 radiation. Have had some issues getting my levels right since weight loss surgery but things are good now.

Thankful it's curable, but it is still cancer and it's scary!

Most Active
Recent Topics