Just had my initial consult

MelissaKay_69
on 11/8/14 3:41 am

Hello from St. Joseph! I just had my initial consult with Dr. Schuhknecht out of Niles last week. I am new to this and excited. I would love to hear from others in the region about their experiences.

Bubbles314
on 11/10/14 1:38 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi, I'm from Kalamazoo and my Dr is Kibwe Weaver at Bronson Hospital.  I had my surgery Oct 6th (RNY).  If you want you could read my blog, it tells about my experiences.  Good luck to you, do you have a date set for surgery?

MelissaKay_69
on 11/10/14 7:35 am

Thanks Bubbles! No surgery date yet, but hopefully next summer. I dont think the doctor will submit it to the insurance company till I've seen him for 6 months. After that I think it takes 6 weeks.

Bubbles314
on 11/10/14 12:42 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

MelissaKay,

Where are you in Michigan?  I know every Dr (Surgeon) has different criteria for there patients and then the insurance companies also have there own rules.  I first went to the Seminar on WLS October 2013, saw my Dr in March 2014 (I was still not sure I wanted this).  I did do all the required steps and then I was suppose to see the Dr in June to set the surgery date and my Dr had an auto accident and was off work for 6 weeks.  I saw him in August and he set the date for my surgery for October 6, 2014 pending insurance approval.  It was approved. RNY and I am on my way

MelissaKay_69
on 11/11/14 10:42 am

Bubbles,

I'm from the St. Joseph area, an hour west of you. My husband works in Kalamazoo though. I went to the seminar the beginning of September, just had my consult a week ago, and hopefully will get my surgery next summer. I have to see the doc for 6 months with no weight gain, get my psych eval, attend two nutritional classes and then the will submit it to the insurance.

Bubbles314
on 11/11/14 12:08 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi, just wanted to say "Good luck it sounds like your on your way".  Are you getting the sleeve or RNY?

Han Shot First
on 11/20/14 12:47 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi Melissa,

My process was 6 months of supervised weight loss, and then submission to the insurance company.  This was their (Blue Cross) requirements, not the doctor's office.  I was mad at the time, but I'm glad now, because it gave me lots of time to do research and simply think about it, to make sure I really wanted to go through with it.  My doctor recorded my regular visit in April as a Weight Loss visit, I had my consultation in May, I had my last one in September, and surgery October 6th.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
Recent Topics